M20 Stuck in 2nd - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Went out for a cruise Sunday night and after stopping at a stop light on the way home my tranny stuck in 2nd gear. The shifter went over to the 3/4 gate, but wouldn't do a thing. Tonight I crawled underneath and disconnected all the rods. The rear lever (reverse?) works fine as does the middle lever (3 & 4?), but the front lever (1 & 2?) doesn't. It will just barely move and feels very solid when it stops. All of this was done with the clutch engaged.

How bad is it? This is my first standard so I am very ignorant here. If I need to can I just pull the tranny itself or do I need to pull the bellhousing as well? Any good web site you can point me to so I can get a degree in Muncies? LOL

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I wonder if you broke a bearing surface somewhere in there? I had that happen to a toyota truck and the gears went one by one until all I had left was rev., 2 and 4 to get me home! Dukes of hazzard time. Luckily I made it and the tranny was rebuildable. Towed the truck to the mechanic. He said if it had been driven any more it would not have been repairable!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 11:39 PM

My Muncie did the same thing. Brought it in to get rebuilt...it lasted 1 week. Second gear must be a prob on these trans...I'm saving to buy a new trans....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GIACOMO:
My Muncie did the same thing. Brought it in to get rebuilt...it lasted 1 week. Second gear must be a prob on these trans...I'm saving to buy a new trans....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, the problem is that the stuff is at least 30 years old, and it's destined to break sometime. Everyone always says how weak muncies are, but they never take into account the age of the parts inside it. In my mind, a tranny from 1966 that breaks a major part in 2002 is a pretty good tranny.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 04:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I agree. A few weeks ago the input shaft to my M20 broke. I felt that 33 years was not too bad a return on investment. Of course, the Autogear M22 was , for me, the perfect solution!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

I crawled under her again tonight and got the 3-4 lever to move. I then checked the oil level and the darn thing is like 1" low with the front end jacked up off the ground. Hopefully no damage done. I'm going to fill it up and keep my fingers crossed.

Anyone got a neat trick for filling the transmission in the car?

Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

First, check the fluid with the car sitting on a level surface ( if you have enough clearance ) . To add fluid, just slip a section of fuel or vacuum line over the tip of the gear oil bottle and use it like a funnel. There is a removeable plug on side of tranny... If fluid drips out when you check it with the car sitting level, you have enough. Oh, use floor jack on plug side ( passenger side ) to raise vehicle to add more oil..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode