Holly 650 DP Spreadbore 4175 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Running rich. Bogs down off the line, runs fine mid to high end. Backfires when I let off the gas. Have instruction manual that came with it to install, but doesn't explain how to lean it out. Second question, secondarys open too late if at all. Is that just a spring change? First time I've ever put on a carb for myself. Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

Which carb? Rest of engine specs? 4175 is a vac, sec. carb.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like a combination of an incorrectly adjusted float and a vacuum leak. I put one on my truck a few months ago and have been very pleased with it.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

If it is a vac secondary carb, how do you know the secondaries aren't opening? It is common for a racer to pull the air filter off and rev it in neutral while watching the secondaries and wonder why they don't open. well, they will never open when in neutral because they only open under high load when the engine needs the air. I think Holley sells more double pumpers this way . . .

Anyway, like travis said look for a vac leak and check the float levels. The float level should be set so that the fuel just barely drips out of the site plug. Make sure th car is parked on a level surface when you check the adjustment too

ps. The secondaries will open sooner WITH an air cleaner installed.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Oh its a great carb Travis. This is the one with choke delete and mechanical secondaries, Oger. I put it on with out adjusting anything. Seemed to run fine, just adjusted the Idle. Then almost immediately I noticed I was backfiring. My old carb was a single pump Holley 600. It only backfires on the highway, and only when I am decelerating. I have a muncie 4-speed. Other than the occassional "fart" the power is fantastic (w/the exception of off the line, where I bog). Could it be too, a fouled plug? I am doing ignition upgrade (MSD) this Winter. How you doing Eric68??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode