More power ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Hello everybody
I'm jerome from france !
Yes , it's possible , a american car in the country of the liquid gold: the gas !

I have a first question for my engine :
a 305 chevy on a camaro 79.

It's an only 150 hp but i would want to put more power into

I put a 600cfm carter carbu. and an edelbrock
pipe with a summit air filter and hooker super comp headers with mufflers .
i'll buy a camshaft but after , i don't know what to do .

Someone can help me ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Someone could tell me a site for 1979 camaro ?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 01:29 PM
Tech Team
Brad

Hello in France:

First there are many camaro sites. Try http://www.nastyZ28.com http://www.camaroZ28.com http://www.yearone.com These are just a few. There are hundreds of others.

One good way to get more power from your 305 is good cylinder heads. Get some World Products heads for your 305 (get the ones with the 58cc combustion chamber to get the compression a little better).

Another thing you could do to get the car to go faster would be to change the rear end gears. I would recommend 3.42:1 ratio.

Hope that is what you wanted to hear!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 03:26 PM

We tend to just install a 350 or a stroked 350 that is sized to a 383 in place of the little 305 engine b/c we have soooo many of the 350 engines over here..

Sorry if this is not of much help. pdq67

PS., all of the tried and true hot rodding tricks like better, small chambered-larger valved heads, a good street duration cam, a set of 1.5" or 1.625", four tube, long tube, style headers and an aftermarket intake with a matching carburetor set up for your engine size will always increase your power output.

But I don't know how much trouble it will be for you to aquire the parts to do all this with.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
John

bonjour!

I agree with Pdq, that if you can... replace the engine with a 350 or an engine based on the 350 block. You can spend lots of money on the 305, but putting in a 350 will give you more room to grow as far as making power.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks very much for theses infos !!!
I know now that it's better to change the engine for a 350 to not spend a lot of money

And i can keep my edelbrock intake , my hooker headers and my carter carburator to put them on the future 350.

what about a 327 , and what year is better ? (we have a used parts shop where i could find one)

For me , it's hard to order something because of the price : when you pay part , for example , 50 dollars , i pay about 95 dollars (transport and custom).

But it won't stop my love for your cars
Long life for america!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech
John

A 327 can also make a good motor. The 327 block can be used to make a 350 or 383 also if you want a bigger engine.

As far as the years, the 62-67 327 used small journal cranks. These are nice, because the crankshafts are usually forged.

The 68 327 (also used in early 1969) used a large journal crankshaft. Because of this, you can put in a 350 crank if you want to make your 327 into a 350.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 12:52 PM

Chevy High Performance had an article on how to make your 305 get 300hp. There is two cams you can use. I've got the part numbers from both vendors and here they are. Summit has them both in stock.

Comp Cams
Xtreme Energy
XE250H
Part Number 12-230-2
Grind CS-XE250H-10

Crane Cams
Energizer
266H10
Part Number CRN-100042
Grind 266 H10

Might want to try a spacer on the Carb. Port the heads. Put some 1.94 valves. MSD ingition or HEI with 48,000 volt coil or more, Edelbrock Performer intake, and put in a set of 3.73 gears in the rear, MSD 8.5mm wires, and an electric fan to replace the fan clutch powered one.

------------------
1979 - 305ci
Holley 750cfm Vacuum Sec.
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Summit 48,000 volt Coil

[This message has been edited by 4U 2 NV (edited 04-08-2002).]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 06:01 AM
Tech Team

Bonjour Jerome
Hang around here a while. Guaranteed these guys will put you in the poor house. But at the same time a bunch of more helpful and knowledgeable folk you would want to meet.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I know now that i have to modify heads and be careful with the camshaft to not lose too much power at low RPM Isn't it ?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
yeah, your on the right track.
YOu can buy aftermarket cylinder heads, and not have to do much porting if any. Becareful about any parts you buy, do your research.

I dont know how good you are at english, so some of this may be twice as confusing to you, but be careful about buying cylinder heads that are too big, maximum valve size in a 305 is 1.94" intake 1.50" exhaust. If your Port sizes (intake runners and exhaust ports) are too big that'll cuase a loss in velocity of the intake charge, and cuase a loss in low end power and driveability, almost as much as putting in too big a cam.

See the bigger the engine is (displacement) the more air and fuel the engine can suck into the combustion chamber, too big of a port wont allow any extra to be squeezed into the chamber (on a normally aspirated engine) instead will just loose velocity. Ever notice how on a garden hose how you loose velocity with a sprayer when you make the hole too big, same thing with an engine.

Hope i'm not diving too deep into this for you, but the more you know the better your chances of creating a very good combo.

Keep the cam selection around 215 degrees duration at .050" of lift. A hydrualic cam would work just fine, but you may consider a small solid flat tappet cam.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech

There are plenty of parts in Europe to be found, you just have to look a little better. I have already found a 12 bolt and a viper 6 speed transmission for my '69 Camaro, and i live in the Netherlands (Holland). 350 Engines can be found cheap here also, big blocks (from trucks) can be found either. So take your time, buy (French) US car magazine's and snoop around the net a lot, happy hunting!!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

all right !
In one day , i know more , with your help , than in a year by reading magazines .

A last question : With bigger valves i have to enlarge the head's intake and exhaust hole
Right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode