Converting 6cyl into 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

hey,
I have a 86 6cyl camaro with no compression. I also have a 77 chevy one ton with a 350 4 bolt main. I was wondering if the transmition in the camaro could support the power of the 350 or if it can even bolt on. thanks for the imput.
Jeff Hartland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 05:35 PM
Tech Team

if i am not mistaken if your car is a 3.8l v6 then the trany will work but if not then i can tell you that it will not and you will have to get a new tranny. i know from the swap that i am in the middle of and i have posted that question on this board and others (just wishing that i would get a different answer) and they all said no

nate
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

yes, my camaro has the 3.8L. I gues that saves me from buying another tranny. thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what all is involved in converting a FI 6cyl to a carb. 350? whould i need to replace the radiator, fuel pump, front suspension. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jeff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 04:44 PM

Red face

Greetings:

Well, first of all, you WILL need the motor mounts from the truck you are transfering the motor from. The camaro frame is drilled to accept all kinds of mounts, it shouldnt be a problem. Second, The tranny in your car will likely be stripped of any usefullness the first or second time you give it all four barrels, if it even works at all. does that trans have any wire harnesses going to it? if so, you probably can't use it with a different engine. Take my word for it, I did the EXACT same swap. The radiator needs to be from a v-8 camaro, similar body style. (junk yard) The fuel pump will be on the side of your 350, you cannot use the cars' original pump which is in the gas tank. just bypass it, use the one on the side of the 350. you will need to fabricate some throttle linkage (I drilled some holes in a flat piece of metal and used that.) The front suspension will not need changing at all. It actually looks awesome with a v-8 in a 6-cyl car, because it has a nose down stance. You hood will most likely not close all the way (hit the carburetor) just cut a hole and use aftermarket hood scoop. new cowl hoods are expensive. all the old computer wiring harnesses will need to be taken out, or folded out of the way. The exhaust is a big factor...new exhaust cost me 650 dollars. I hope I have been some help, but If I have just been a discouragement, please jsut ask me for any assistance you might want, and I will help you the best I can!
<>Jonathan, [email protected]<>
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks alot. i was misaken about the year, its my dads, it an 85 with a 2.8L. I doubt that would change it. Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 07:08 PM
Tech Team

Cool

yes it will "change it" you will need to get a new tranny because the one in your car is 60 degrees and the one you will need for the small block is 80
nate
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 07:52 PM

Talking

Finally, somebody answered one of these questions. I'm planning on doing the same swap ('87 2.8 MPFI manuel sport coupe to a 350) Any more helpful info would be appreciated by me and others im sure.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 11:18 AM
Tech Team

hey guys ive done the same thing. now you dont have to cut the hood though. it will close. the cheaper alternative is to get a drop base air cleaner.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 05:48 PM
Tech Team

Talking

yeah but if you cut the hood and get a scoop it will look badass
nate
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 03:26 AM
Tech Team

yea but it looks better if you just get a 4 in cowl hood!!!! eh eh eh. i dont know its just my opinion but i dont like just riviting a scoop on the stock hood. i know its cheaper but hey. to each is own right guys!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 07:29 PM

hey i am getting ready to put my Dad's friends 5.7l 350 out of his 78' vette and drop it in my 79' in-line6 4.1 250 camaro. Will this work with the same tranny or not and what else will i have to do to make this convertion? Can anyone help?
The engine out of the vette runs great the only reason he is taking it out is becuase he blew the tranny up in it so with the new tranny he is putting a new creat motor in!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 05:57 AM
Tech Team

Wink

i really do not like the look of the cowl induction too much. i think it looks better on truck than cars. if you are going to spend the money on cowl then you might as well go ahead and get a whole new fiberglass hood with the scoop already glassed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode