rebuilding stock 350/ 295 hp. 67 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am in the process of rebuilding my Original 67 350/295 hp. 67 camaro engine. Need suggestions of what to use for a cam as i would like to have a noticeable but NOT to eratic lumpy cam. This car is a original down to its factory rims & tires! Need suggestions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech

I have the middle Comp Cams dual energy cam in a 327. It has plenty or bottom end even with the 3.08s but the idle is quite noticable.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 06:00 PM

Angry

May I suggest going with a CC 268HE or Crane 272 type "Little Fireball"..

Or consider a CC 270S or want a little more git, go with a 282S if you don't mind a solid..

pdq67

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

"151" 327/350HP cam would be a good step up from the old "929" cam. It has a tad more bottom end as compared to the "962" 350/350 or L-82 cam. The 350/350 cam would have a bit more top end.

Both have a noticeable but fully streetable idle and are factory designed pieces. The "962" is good with through cast iron manifolds as it has a longer exhaust event. The "151" responds well to having it advanced 4 degrees when you install it for even more bottom end.

Crane sells the "151" in the musclecar cam section and the "962" under the Blue Racer brand or you can get either one from Federal Mogul.

-Mark.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

The 962 cam has a very smooth idle in my 383. Would it sound slightly lumpy in a 350? The cam makes about 16" of vacuum in my 383, so you would be able to support your vacuum acessories if you used it.

Specs:

3896929 195/202 .390/.410 112 327/275-L30, 350/295-L48

3863151 221/221 .447/.447 114 327/350-L79
3896962 224/224 .450/.460 114 350/350-L82

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Some of this comes down to preferance and what you like or what has worked for you in the past. I happen to like comp cams, and really like the comp 268, in both small blocks and big blocks. The 262 has worked great for me also, but if your looking for that little bit more and a little "lumpyness" the 268 is a nice part, or at least it has been for me. I also agree with Mark (stinger 69) about his choices. The factory parts are hard to beat, but I personlly still favor the comp 268.

Call comp cams and some other cam help lines and see what they tell you. Nothing like a professional opinion to help make your desision a little harder.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I definately like the Comp 268H for near stock with headers. It is a great single pattern grind.

I was already doing some modeling of 350 cams here at the house. The thing I was noticing was how the bigger aftermarket cams loose around 60 HP when hooked up to headers vs. cast iron manifolds. The factory grinds seem to loose around 40 HP if you stick with the cast iron manifolds as compared to headers due to the dual asymetric profiles with longer exhaust timing. The Comp dual energy cams are probably another good choice for a stock manifold/stock head car.

I am already running the "962" so I already know how that grind performs. Basicaly a hydraulic version of the LT-1. If it is not worn out, I will probably continue to run it, pull the cat off and maybe up the compression a bit if I can find the $$$. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 03, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

A little reading will help. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...17%20intro.pdf

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech

Rick,
I've run the CC 268H before and it was a great all around cam with a nice push of torque from 1500 to 5500 rpm and it picked up revs quickly. The cam had a nice bit of lope at idle too, but it may not work with your 10.25:1 compression. My engine that I ran it in was a 350 that had 8.5:1 compression, a 650 Holley double pumper spreadbore, an Edelbrock Performer, Pocket Ported 1.94/1.50 large chambered heads, and 1 5/8's headers. It was a great street combination imho. You won't rule the drag strip, but you will hold you own on the stop light to stop light stuff, and the seat of the pants feel was great. Call Comp Cams and ask them if they think you will have pre-ignition trouble with your set-up.
You would be safe with the recommended Chevrolet cams, again imho, as they were designed for high compression engines. Although, I've heard the low end will be weak without a gearing change (i.e. 3.73:1) although your high compression will help combat this.
I hope this helps.

-DEC
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 06:25 PM

Angry

I ditto the old -151 cam b/c I ran it in my motor after the first 1,200 miles on it until I put my old junk 301 in it!!

It changed my engine from top second to low third with the old -929 cam to a top third with the old -151 cam!! Boy it had a good third gear charge with the big tires I used to run...

But BTW, the old CC 268HE and Little-Fireball are still dandy cams, too.... But I still would opt for a small solid nowadays!!

pdq67

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Rick;

I'm going to 3rd (? or 4th/5th whatever) the '151 or '962 Factory HP cam recommendations.
I used the '151 in my '67 SS for 20+ years and it had that perfect "Noticeable" Idle and all the drivability you could want for cruising and everyday use (it was my X's daily driver for 17+ years). I ran it trough Iron manifolds and stock type dual set-up to keep the sound down for her.
I'm not sure if the good factory lifters are still available or the part number (#5232720) has changed as I haven't bought any in the last 5+ years - but they used to work very well with these cams up to @7,000 RPM.
A set of 1.6 rockers might be a good addition to the '151 cam to get just a little more duration on the exhaust for iron manifolds, if you run them.
I use Comp Cams stuff alot - but still think it's neat to run factory parts on my cars when I can - but that's my "old school" brain talking.
Good luck on your project! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Keep in mind, Rick is running a powerglide and I suspect a 3.07 rear axle. That combined with the 10.25 C/R makes the cam selection a little tricky. GM never offered a 327/350 with any automatic tranny, only stick shifted. That is one of the reasons I like to suggest advancing that cam 4 degrees when installed. It realy likes the added bottom end.

L-82's have been offered either stick or automatic.

FWIW, Comp recomended the 270H.

Rick, let us know what you decide to run and how you like it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 03, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

my 67 Camaro 350//295 hp., is in process of being rebuilt! Will be bored 30 over & new from the oil pump up to the heads. Have decided to use the recommended cam by Comp Cams - 270H Magnum !! Because of the factory 10:25 C/R & the powerglide Transmission & the 3;31 rear gear ratio they said that we have to be careful of detonation & recommended this cam .Spoke to 5 different techs there & 3 of the 5 techs highly recommended this high energy 270 Magnum !
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 03, 05:59 PM

Question

What do you think of an Isky 270 Mega cam??

I bet it will do nicely too..

108 centers for more torque and of course the idle will be "knarlier" too, imho.. And there is just something about saying "Isky" as it rolls off the tongue!!

pdq67

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 03, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Rick;

I think you will be happy with the choice, after all it's a recomendation from comp on what to use and 3 out of 5 techs back up the choice made by the manufacture. I have used Comp and the cam help line a few times and have been very happy every time. Other times I just went with the 268H and been happy also.

Since your doing the entire engine and heads look into a comp K-Kit one for the 270 from Summit runs about $280.00 and includes cam,lifters,timing set,valve springs,steel retainers,valve locks and valve stem seals.

All matched parts designded to work together.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode