Flywheel Balancing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello, Ok I finally decided to go with the Merline 509 Alum head engine over the GM 502 engine. When I called Hardcore racing they said my 4spd car would need a neutrally balanced flywheel. Does any one know what a neutral balanced flywheel is? and where I can get one? I know of internally and externally balanced flywheels but I'm not sure if the neutrally balanced flywheel is represented by either of the above. Once again thanks for all the help. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 05:37 PM
David Pozzi

I think that's a flywheel with no lump of balance weight on it.
That would be like any early small block, or 396 or 427 flywheel. But does the 502 have the early bolt pattern, or is it smaller like the one piece rear seal small blocks?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 05:39 PM

A neutral balanced flywheel or flexplate means that it isn't balanced out of balance or what is called "Detroit-balanced" like the 400SB and 454BB that are both "externally-balanced" engines.

These engines needed more weight to balance them so Detroit put some of the extra needed weight outside the engine at the ends on the flywheel or flexplate and balancer.

All other engines are balanced internally so the balancer and flywheel/flexplate are neutral balanced.

Plus, they aren't balanced for a specific engine so can be used on any engine that can use them.

The other two, (400&454 type), can only be used on their specific engines, but can be used on all of them since they are for them.

Does this make since???

A 400 balancer has a cut off the outer circumference of it as well as a big bump of metal on the flywheel and a plate on the flexplate. The 454 style has the bump of metal on the balancer, but on the inside of it's backside. Plus, has about the same bump and plate on the flywheel and flexplate only both different weights then the 400 has! pdq67

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pdq67:
A neutral balanced flywheel or flexplate means that it isn't balanced out of balance or what is called "Detroit-balanced" like the 400SB and 454BB that are both "externally-balanced" engines.

These engines needed more weight to balance them so Detroit put some of the extra needed weight outside the engine at the ends on the flywheel or flexplate and balancer.

All other engines are balanced internally so the balancer and flywheel/flexplate are neutral balanced.

Plus, they aren't balanced for a specific engine so can be used on any engine that can use them.

The other two, (400&454 type), can only be used on their specific engines, but can be used on all of them since they are for them.

Does this make since???

A 400 balancer has a cut off the outer circumference of it as well as a big bump of metal on the flywheel and a plate on the flexplate. The 454 style has the bump of metal on the balancer, but on the inside of it's backside. Plus, has about the same bump and plate on the flywheel and flexplate only both different weights then the 400 has! pdq67

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, this cleared up alot. Joe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 01:48 PM
Bill

Joe,
Who are you getting the engine from ? A 509 can be internal or external balance...the engine builder should be able to tell you. If it is internally balanced, then the neutral flywheel is correct.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech

Joe,
I just finished setting up the flywheel on my 540 from Bill Mitchell. The motor is internally balanced. So you do need a neutral balanced flywheel, meaning there are no counter weights on it. I thought you might be interested in hearing my woes before you purchase one. I have a center force dual friction clutch so I order a RAM 11" neutral balance flywheel from summit and bolt it up and find the springs in the clutch disk are rubbing against the flywheel bolts. Turns out the counter bore in the ram flywheel is very shallow and I believe the hays is the same. Just be carefull with your selection. I ended up buying a centerforce flywheel model 700120 neutral balance 168 tooth ring gear fits 10.5 through 12" clutch, it was a little pricey but a nice quality peice SFI as well. Good luck with that monster!
Rich
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67ragtp:
Joe,
I just finished setting up the flywheel on my 540 from Bill Mitchell. The motor is internally balanced. So you do need a neutral balanced flywheel, meaning there are no counter weights on it. I thought you might be interested in hearing my woes before you purchase one. I have a center force dual friction clutch so I order a RAM 11" neutral balance flywheel from summit and bolt it up and find the springs in the clutch disk are rubbing against the flywheel bolts. Turns out the counter bore in the ram flywheel is very shallow and I believe the hays is the same. Just be carefull with your selection. I ended up buying a centerforce flywheel model 700120 neutral balance 168 tooth ring gear fits 10.5 through 12" clutch, it was a little pricey but a nice quality peice SFI as well. Good luck with that monster!
Rich
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Rich thanks for the info. This will be a big help! Do mind if I ask what type of starter and headers your using? I'm also from NJ hope to see you around. Thanks again, Joe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech

Joe,
Nice to hear from a fellow NJer, I live in bergen. Where are you? As far as a starter goes, I went with a power master #9200. I did have to die grind a radius around the mounting surface of the starter near the oil pan flange. They installed a milidon pan on my motor and the flanges are a little on the wide side. I hope the starter works out, one thing Im not crazy about is the depth the gear on the starter engages the ring gear, When the starter gear bangs against the nose bushing it only pushes out to engage half the depth of the ring gear. Not sure if you guys can visualize this, but Ive read in other posts that it shouldnt be a problem. If anyone has any input please let me know? Otherwise it looks pretty good, nice and small/gear reduction and comes with bolts and shim. Headers and Bigblock= hammer time, nothing bothers me more than looking at a pounded set of pipes. This is a problem, Ive asked a million questions and have very few answers. Not sure if you know it or not but the heads have raised exhaust runners, The mitchell people will tell you every thing is in the stock location, but not entirely true.
The deck height and intake runners but the exhaust ports are higher(good luck getting an exact dimension. This is big problem since standard headers from headman and hooker are fixtured on factory heads. I dont claim to be an authority on this but I sure have seen a lot of banged up pipes on BBs, even with factory heads. Most of the time to clear the power steering box. I wanted a set with 2.125in primarys and want them too fit, so I called lemmons headers out in calif, which was refered by a guy on this board(camcojb/Jody), very helpful. Any way Dan at lemmons is custom making them for me and since Im running a 4-speed the z-bar is also a problem for him since the number 5 tube runs around it, although he has a 68 camaro factory 4-speed with power steering that he,s going to fit them too first, its just taking alot of time and yes they will cost me a fortune. Maybe if you use a 2" or 1.75" they will fit, Im just not convinced yet with headman and hooker. Did you happen to notice the pivot ball boss on the merlin 2 block is not drilled and tapped b/c theres a casted boss sticking out of it for an external oil pressure fitting/pipe plug. I almost had a heart attack when I saw this. I ended up fabricating the exact location off the end of my lakewood bell and doing some TIG welding. Sorry for the long post but theres alot of technical issues with the merlin that I think people should know about. My E-mail is [email protected] if you want to talk about the motors. Hope this was helpful. Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode