650 double pumper - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,I've got a question. I'm runnig a 650 Holley double pumper on my '68 RS/SS. The engine is a LT-1 from a '70 Vette or '701/2 Camaro. It's got a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a pair of 202 turbo heads, which I think are like the first generation Bowtie heads today. Running a set of Hooker Supercomp 13/4 headers. Ever since I've had this car the carb has idled very rich. I mean the exhaust will burn your eyes. I checked the vacuum but don't remember what it was. Anyway, I was told I could get a power valve with a lower number and it should clean up the idle. If I remember right, the idle cvacuum was like around 6 inches. I'm running a power valve that is stamped 52. Meaning 5.2 inches of vacuum before it will open. Should'nt that be a low enough number on the power valve to keep it from opening at idle? Is there something else to check? Thanks, Matt. P.S. It also has a M21 and 410 12 bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 08:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Holley recomends at least 2" lower than idle vacuum in a performance application and half the idle vaccum in milder applications.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I'll try it. Thanks DjD. Matt

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Your vacuum reading sounds pretty low for a stock LT1 engine. It would be a good idea to swap in a new power valve but I would set the idle fuel/air mix, float levels, and idle speed first.

Adjust the float levels first, then set the A/F mix screws for the highest vac reading. Your idle speed will probably increase so you will probably need to reset the idle speed. Once you have the idle all set, re-read your idle vacuum and divide by two --- that is the number of the PV you need to get.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eric68, I'll try it. That vacuum reading was off the top of my head. I'm going to check it tonight. Matt
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Well, I was able to recheck my idle vacuum. It's between 12 and 15 inches depending on idle speed. I have about a #50 power valve in the carb so I would think it would be ruled out. I have my base timing around 10 degrees with an Accel dual point. Does that sound right? Any less timing and the idle goes down and I would have to screw the idle needle in more. If there's a posibility I'm running on the primaries, that would make it worse. Matt
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 03:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Do you know what your fuel pressure is? Holley's should be less than 8 psi or you can push fuel past the seat. I had that.

Also, I had a loose power valve that was allowing gas to flow past it. Can you see fuel dripping down the carb throat when it's idling?

My experience was on a 700 DP.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I haven't looked for fuel yet but I will. My fuel pressure was 6 1/2 psi. I dropped it to 5 just to make sure. Matt
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

I haven't looked for fuel yet but I will. My fuel pressure was 6 1/2 psi. I dropped it to 5 just to make sure. Matt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I liked 6-1/2 psi better 50 for a power valve doesn't sound right to me . . . you read the numbers clockwise and the number will typically end with a 5. Like this "O 6 5" means you have a 6.5" power valve. Which BTW is what you want for an engine with 12" minimum - a 6.5" er

Good luck.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I think it read something like 50 or 52. Don't remember. I'm gonna pull the front bowl off and put a new power valve anyway. I think my carb kit came with 2 6.5's and another one that I can't read the number on. I think it started with a 5 though. I'll try a new one. If you think the 6.5 will work I'll try that one. Matt
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 07:06 PM

Its just the nature of the beast with a Double Pumper that it will idle rich since they are meant for big, loopy cams and when you put them on mild engines they always seem to run a little rich.

If ya get a chance take off the metering block and compare it to say a 750 Vaccum Secondary carb. I did and the passage ways are a lot bigger on the DP and if you look at the Idle Feed Restrictions holes they are nearly twice the size. You could always epoxy them up and drill them smaller to keep it from running rich at idle or do what i did: I installed a 750 VS primary metering block on my 650 DP and the idle cleaned right up and the car is much more responsive and doesn't dump as much fuel in it. I have a 350 with a very mild 203/212 cam and that carb was running dead rich on idle before no matter how much I played with the idle mixture screws.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,
I really appreciate everybodys help. I think I've got my carb adjusted about as good as I can hope. I pulled the front bowl off yesterday and changed the power valve. The one I had in it before had a 5 and some other number on it. Can't really remember which one I had in it. Anyway, I took Eric 68's advice and put a new 6.5 in it.
I replaced the plugs with new R44TS's. I sanded th epoints and checked them. They were about .018. I set the base timing at 10 degrees. Ran the valves and adjusted to .018 on the intake and .020 on the exhaust.
The idle has cleaned up quite a bit and is tolerable.
Took the car for a nice little ride and it feels pretty strong!! I get a small stumble after a shift so if ya'll have any suggestions, I'll listen.
Also, any comments on my valve clearances would be appreciated. It's the stock LT-1 cam from 70 Vette's and 701/2 Camaros. I using Erson roller rockers at 1.5 to 1.
Thanks for everyones help. Matt
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

P.S. I checked the primary jets, their 67's. Matt
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Chilton's, copyright 1973, states "Int .024", Exh .030", goes for all except Z/28 302, 30/30 for both.

AllGo has the right idea. You might search the Class ads, garages, etc. for a junker Holley 3310 to swap the primary block.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode