My 350 "FrankenMotor"...arrrrgh - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool

I've been trying to de-mystify my motor. From what I've been told and what I can figure out its a 350 from the early 70's...from a van or whatever. A really low compression, low h.p. motor. Then they added a mild cam, headers, a Carter 4 bbl, and a Weiand 180 2p intake. The compression is so low, that when I installed a power booster to help with the front disc brakes, I had to install an electric vacuum pump!...which works great by the way) The engine runs fine.
A 3.08 open rear end from a Nova(!). The thing is not quick off the line, but I can cruise at 95 no prob on low octane. I'm having the correct gauges and tic toc tach installed even as we speak. But when it comes time for a tune-up, I'm gonna be in deep doo doo. I'm going to change from points to the Ignitor II points eliminator and hotter coil. That should help. I repaced the worn out tranny with a B&M and new torque conv w/ 2400 stall. The rest of the car is like new.
I wonder...at some point can I have this motor built up a bit, or go for the crate 350? I'm not gonna race, but would like some decent power for cruisin'. I'm not gonna burn rubber..but a little "chirrp" from time to time is fun`.
Suggestions?

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Lightbulb

Just talked to a guy with a 68 SS350 basicly stock Camaro witha little cam added. Ran very good, it had 3:08 rear gears with spool and a 2400 stall. he told me the 2400 stall was alittle much for the street and when driving around town the trans feels like it's slipping (well it is with the high stall) He said he wished he went with about an 1800 stall. He likes the 2400 when racing it, but as he said it's not a fun driver with it.

I feel that this will wear out the trans quickly due to heat build up, might want to keep the stall in the 1800 range if it's going to be a 90% street driver. Now the spool that s differant story. He said he loves it, it's a bit noisy turning and backing up but very effective and cheaper than a posi. Just a few ideas i just happen to hear over the week end.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Joe,
My car is a 100% street driver, no racing for me. And I keep it in 2nd gear around town, 3rd is for freeway driving, so I don't think the stall speed will be an issue...we'll see. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about changing the rear end, just a little more jump off the line, (oh, that explains 2nd gear around town) without sacrificing too much top end. What would you suggest? And can I just replace the gears in the rear end?
Thanks again.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oh, by the way Joe, did I forget to mention that I absolutely HATE you. "Bought the car for 500.00 and have less than 1000.00 into it!"
Just kidding! And yeah, keep the car ugly for awhile! But how about a few more pics?
Thanks again!

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode