Question for Camcojb - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jody I see you have an early Nova in your stable of cars. I have a question about what type of electric fan you are running. My 67 has a Becool radiator and a Black Magic fan (I had the fan laying around)If I an going 20MPH the thing runs at 160deg. If I get stuck in traffic it will climb until I get out of traffic. This is not some killer motor just a 9to1 327 with air(that I can't use until something gets changed). The convertor is a little loose for the gear ratio but not that loose. The big problem as you know is no room. Maybe 4 1/2in at the most. Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

That one was before I knew about the Mark VIII fans. One of those would probably be real tight, but should fit with trimming.

I ran both a stock clutch fan with shroud and later a Spal 16" puller. The Spal did pretty good, pretty much stayed under 195 or so and fits easily. The Mark VIII would still blow it away though. I think about 4 to 4.5" is about as thin as you can trim it though, but the motor is offset some so you can often sneak it past the water pump pulley.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I know you didn't ask me, but I really don't think your problem is the fan. How is your radiator?

I ask because I ran that fan with a new 3-core stock radiator with a fairly healthy 350, and it ran 180* all day never above 195*. Worked real well for me.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 04:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Generally, If it stays at 160 going 20 mph and heats up when stopped it's an airflow problem. If he couldn't get it to cool under load or going down the freeway it's a radiator/pump problem. Since it only heats up when he stops moving and there's no extra airflow other than the fan, I'd say a higher cfm fan would do the trick.

Jody

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 05:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Could be timing if everything else checks out, not enough initial. You can test that by kicking the rpm up to about 1800 and sit and see if the temp still climbs...

Also if the rad core is too thick for the fan idle flow can be restricted. Where is your AC condensor located? And that external trans cooler core? If they are all stacked up in front of the rad core it may take 20mph to get any air flowing through to the engine...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode