Vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I posted a month or so ago regarding the BAD engine vibration I had at 2k RPM and above. Well I finally have had time to look into it.

I have a 383, and tremec TKO with a Lakewood and Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch. While in Neutral I can increase my RPM 's to about 2000 and the car vibrates really bad and continues as I increase RPM.

So last night I pulled the Trans, Bellhousing - what a PITA, and clutch. My symptoms now are a vibration around 1k (slight),2k(same as before), and smoothes out above there. I did notice that one of the mounting bolts for the Pressure Plate was not tight which could have been my other vibration.

I did not have the 1k before and that puzzles me as to why it has appeared.

I am using a stock type dampner and a 14" flywheel with a 10.5" clutch.

Thoughts?

------------------
Kevin

68 Camaro SS - 383, Edlebrock Performer RPM, Trick Flow 23 degree heads, edlebrock 750cfm carb, dynomax headers, Tremec TKO, 3.73 Posi

[This message has been edited by kdorsett (edited 09-07-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 12:36 PM

I also have a 383 that vibrates, mine has a Muncie with a Lakewood bell housing. My vibration was at 3300 rpm. Last weekend I changed the rear trans mount from stock rubber to Polyurethane, now it vibrates at 2200 rpm and at 3300rpm!!!! The vibation at 2200 rpm is much stronger than at 3300rpm. Both vibrations occur when parked in the driveway, so it's not a drive line problem.
Any ideas?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 12:58 PM

have you tried checkign the crankshaft

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

mc, what do you mean by checking the crankshaft?

------------------
Kevin

68 Camaro SS - 383, Edlebrock Performer RPM, Trick Flow 23 degree heads, edlebrock 750cfm carb, dynomax headers, Tremec TKO, 3.73 Posi
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech

Gee I was gonna say something and forgot what it was..... Wish I could delete this post.

-dnult

[This message has been edited by dnult (edited 09-06-2002).]
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 11:11 AM

I changed the trans mount back to a (new) rubber mount, what a difference. The vibration at 2200 is gone and the vibration at 3300 is much less!!! I am wondering if I should put fresh front motor mounts in?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yesterday, I pulled the motor since I already had trans pulled out. I bought the stroker kit well over a year ago off the net, and I am now questioning whether the assembly was balanced or not. So I am taking the crank,pistons et al to get balanced tomorrow.

QUESTION - When I reassemble, should I install new bearings or reuse the ones there? I have very little running time on the engine - 20 miles or so. Or should I just be safe and install new ones.

------------------
Kevin

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 02, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech

Is your 383 internally balanced or externally balanced? Perhaps you have the wrong flywheel. That may be the source of your vibration. If you take the rotating assembly to get balanced, don't forget to take your damper and flywheel.

Good luck.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 02, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Very good point Bravewink.
kdorsett, did the engine some with the balancer and flywheel? If not you need to make sure you have the right balancer/dampner and flywheel. If you added the flywheel and dampner yourself, did you get them for a 350 or a 400? If you call the place you bought the engine from and ask if it is internally balanced or externally balanced they should be able to help you (it depends on what type of crank they used). Most of the earier kits used 400 balancing (external), many kits still do. If you put a 350 flywheel and dampner on an externally balanced engine you will have vibrations and the bearings won't live long. Check into that before you tear your engine down to find out you only have the wrong balancer and flywheel. This will save you some $$$ and time. Good luck

Royce
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 02, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have a 400 balancer and flywheel for the assembly, Since I already have the block stripped back down I am going to my machinist to have him check, confirm the balance. I can no longer find the individual I purchased te kit from, so I prefer to be safe.

Should have back next week and fitted back in next weekend.

------------------
Kevin

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 02, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

I hadn't thought about this until recently. It might not be a bad idea to install a flex plate instead of a flywheel as a test with the tranny disconnected. That might identify an out of balance flywheel. Hopefully you won't need it, but might help others with a problem similar to yours.

-dnult
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 02, 01:52 AM
Senior Tech

What does PITA stand for?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 02, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pain In The A$$!! TOO many Bolts. A couple I could not even get a socket on.

------------------
Kevin

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Picked up my rotating assembly today and glad I took it in. The machinist told me the balance was, as he put it, in La La land. So now for the re-assembly. Couple of questions though.
I have seen on a few post that some of you running poly engine mounts and that you were thinking of putting a stock rubber unit on the passenger side to reduce vibrations. Any particular reason for the passenger side? Is it because of easy access? While I have the motor out should I put one on?

------------------
Kevin

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

I can't answer the question about the passenger motor mount, but would make a recommendation NOT to change anything else intially, to see what the difference is from the balance of the engine alone. If you change two things at once, you won't know what the real cause of the problem was.

I am, however, interested in the poly motor mount deal. I have heard of people swapping to poly mounts and have been totally satisfied, and in this post I hear some contrary opinions. I have the poly mounts on my 69, and have been chasing a vibration issue too. Was also thinking about pulling the engine to check balancing, but haven't gotten there yet. PLease post your results! And good luck.

Mark

------------------
69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode