what oil ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

I am getting ready for "Cruisin The Coast"along the Mississippi gulf coast and was wondering which oil I should use.The reason I ask is because my oil pressure at idle after warm up is around 15psi.There will be a lot of stop and go traffic.The oil I'm using now is penz oil 10w40.Should I try synthetic and what brand?the engine is 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 04:48 AM
Retired
Jim

Yes to the synthetic, it will handle the higher temp of stop and go cruising. You will see an oil temp drop since syn's release heat faster. I use Amsoil 10w-40 and I can idle all day and never see the temp guage go about 1/2 with air temp at 85. Mobile One is also very good and maybe more readily available on short notice. My 350 idles around 15psi as well and holds about 35 at highway speeds. Wish I could take that cruise someday.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

You got it right click.. I agree.. go with synthetic pretty much any syn is going to be better than than the stuff you are running now except for that semi-syn crap don't waste your money on that.. I like that new 15-50 they have out now but it gets real warm here in VA and not too cold so it works well for my weekend cruiser.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 07:05 AM

I use Chevron Delo RPM 15-40W oil in all my rigs. Longer engine life, better gas mileage, reduced oil consumption, just like the label says; for a few cents more than regular oil. :&gt
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Jim ,I will try the Mobile ONE.If you can make it to the cruise next year you won't be disappointed. Last year there were 5270 "registered car".You can go to cruisinthecoast.com for information or check out past events.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 04, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

I still need some help.I was going to use Mobil one synthetic 10w-40 but is not available locally.I talked to the technician for mobil one and he suggested using 3qrts 15w-50 and2 qrts 5w-30.I thought about using 15w-50 but did not know if it would ok to use it.I live in louisiana and the temperatue is pretty warm,but i will be driving it a little this winter.Any suggestions?Also wondering about engine break in before use of synthetic.I have around 2600 miles on engine.Is this enough?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 04, 06:22 AM
Retired
Jim

2600 miles should be enough time for break in, but ask your rebuilder for his comments, unless you did all the work. I think you can safely use the combo mentioned. Keep in mind, when the engine is warmed up, the oil will hold its viscosity, so dont let the 15w or 5w concern you. Its only needing that viscosity at start up, within minutes the oil is warm and will hold its Vis. at the right level for your driving. One weight is always better, I dont think the 5w-30 would be a concern in your engine. Id use 5 qts of 5w30. Guessing thats what new Vettes come with out of Bowling Green. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode