ATI or Coan Torque Converters - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I'm planning on buying either of these converters for my new 406. I want around 3000-3200 stall.

I see both manufacturers make converters around this stall range, but offer them in 10" and 11" models. What kind of advantages do either have?

I also see that ATI has Streetmaster, Treemaster, and Treemaster MRT. I hear great things about ATI, but I don't know which model of converter I've heard all the good things about. Basically, the Treemaster line is way out of my price range, although the Streetmaster is priced the same as B&M, TCI, etc. Does this mean they are similar converters (quality, low-RPM slippage, etc). Whats the difference between the different models of ATI converters?

My Camaro has 3.73 gears and a 26" slick, TH400, stock weight, and hope to see 11's. It will be used as a street/strip car. I've contacted both ATI and Coan last week, but have gotten no reply. Thanks!

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
John

Matt- I went through the converter selection process a few mounths ago. I ended up getting one from a place in Texas called Torco. Supposedly, this guy makes them up individually per order, using the same parts and features as the well known brands. The cost was like $230.00 delivered to my door. That sounded a lot more reasonable than the $9-1300.00 that I was quoted from the other places. I haven't gotten a full run in yet to evaulate it completely but it seems to be okay. Stall is close to what it is supposed to be also (4500).

I'll try to find their website for you and post it.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

When it comes to convertors you get what you pay for. Either brand makes excellent products.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
John

http://www.torcoconverters.com/

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I had looked at their products, and they do seem nice. I see they offer the converter in a 9.5" size. What's the difference if the stall speed is the same, but the size is different?

What size was your torco unit? Does it drive any different than a cheaper converter? And out of curiousity, how different is yours from a stock converter (drivability wise)?

I wanted to go with ATI or Coan due to their reputation, but these prices seem almost too good to be true. Choices, choices...

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 02:11 AM
Senior Tech

I've never dealt with Coan or Torco, but was happy with dealing with ATI. I called them up, told them what I had and what I was trying to accomplish, and they recommended the cheaper streetmaster series. They told me that if the car is strip only, then they recommend the treemaster series (more bullet proof), but for a street strip ride, the streetmasters will work great, with better driveability. And, I ordered the convertor on a thursday morning, and UPS dropped it on my porch saturday morning. I couldn't believe that.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech
John

Matt- This converter is in a race only car, so I can't really tell you about driveability. I've only run it about 4 times (with a defective transmission). With 4500 stall, it wouldn't be to practical on the street anyway. I didn't measure diameter but 9.5" seems close. I'm going to run it again this Sat. and can maybe provide a more complete evaulation.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Matt,
I am also running a Torco 3000 stall lock up converter in my 700R4. I too was a little skeptical at first, but after talking to a guy named Mickey, at Torco, I decided to give them a shot. I think the converter is great. It has fine street manners, but punch it off the line and you know its there. Just make sure to run a good plate type trans cooler and you won't have any problems. Mine is also a 9.5 inch.

Good Luck,
Mike

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

matt, coan and ati are definately good converters. as for what you need, its best to talk to the guys that build them, they can give you some insight on them and help you make your decision.
but, i must reccomend a place that builds converters right in your back yard. the name of the company is premier torque converters, they are in auburn, right off of highway 18. the number is (253) 288-2233. these guys are a branch of a larger shop (forget the name), and they have done a few converters for my racing buddy's, with much success. this winter when i freshen my motor i'm sending them my converter to up the stall speed slightly, and go through it. they have built the converter for my buddys 1400 horse heavy street nova, and our machinist buddys 67 nova (7 sec street car) runs them as well. they also built a converter for my buddy with a 500+ horse 406 62 nova (street car) so they handle all types, and stand behind their work as well.
if you want to give 'em a call, ask for neal, and tell him you heard about him from the NPSA (northwest pro street assoc.)drag guys, he's a real smart guy, definately knows converters, and will custom build for a very reasonable price. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Hey, that sounds good. I'll give them a call on monday.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Thumbs up

cool, they do a real nice job. about a week ago we took my buddys converter up to have it checked after smoking the tranny, (1400 horse will do that ) we thought we were just dropping it off. we showed up at around 7:30pm, and he was waiting for us, said lets take it apart and have a look. so basically he tore it apart, checked it (it was fine), put a new bearing in it and sent us on our way. he knew the car needed to be ready for the next weekend, and took care of him. thats why i'm going to use them next time. let me know what you find out, good luck!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode