Oil Cap/Breather Ideas? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Question

I just received aluminum valve covers from PACE Chevrolet. I now have to drill holes for PCV valve and oil filler cap.

I DO NOT WANT CHROME Breathers. I would prefer aluminum or something similar. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 06:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What are you putting them on? You shouldn't need breathers. Connect the vac port at the base of your carb to a PCV in one valve cover and connect the other valve cover breather opening to the base of the air cleaner. There should be a fitting there for it. Ground Up and some of the others sell pre-shapped hoses for this. Also just use the one hole for oil fill instead of putting two in one cover..

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

DJD,

Sorry if I was unclear. The passenger side already has the PCV from the previous set of valve covers so I will drill a hole in the passenger side for that.

The driver's side has no place for oil cap so I will drill a hole for that too. I jsut want to put an oil cap on that is not chrome since the valv covers are aluminum, like teh Edelbrock intake.

Thanks for your help and moderation. i see your name all the time. All of you guys are so helpful. Best site on the NEt by far and I have a Mustang and 440-6 Cuda. Nothing for those other brands even compares.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 02:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My engine doesn't look this messey any longer but the PCV is still the same...

The passanger vc has a hole on the back with a short breather hose that connects to the under side of the air cleaner. I just pull the PCV and add oil there.

You can always get an alum breather and do the same. I just hate to clutter nice vc's with a wart on top of them...

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 04-08-2001).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the picture. I am going to do the same. Put the pass. side pcv in and just add oil there and leave the driver side without anything.

Brad
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 06:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BradB:
Thanks for the picture. I am going to do the same. Put the pass. side pcv in and just add oil there and leave the driver side without anything. Brad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad, I wish I had a pic from the other side... As you know the PCV ventelates the crankcase. You must have an opening on the other side for it to work properly.

If your block is pre 1968 you should have a tube comming out of the block back at the firewall that gets clean air from the base of the air cleaner. If it's newer (like my '69) the breather tube went from the valve cover to the air cleaner. It really is kust using the air cleaner as a breather...

You do need both, clean air in on one side and old air out through the pcv and into the base of the carb...

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode