por 15 engine enamel - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

first of all, thanks for all the advise regardig the post on die grinding. plus the links were great.

have any of you used the por 15 engine enamel? i just bought some from the goodguys car show and the reps talked it up pretty good. so good that it had me convince to use it. i was originally plannig on having the whole engine powder coated. i have a powder coating system and i know that i cant do the block but i can do the rest of the components. so, i can actually go either way on TC's member recommendation. i also bought the the high heat manifold enamel from the lady who is the rep at por 15(lucky for me i didnt think she was good looking or i would have bought everything). she was a little biased since she worked for the product and said that powder coaint has a chance of cracking and if the por15 fails on certain areas, you can just touch it up. so, please give me some input and your experiences.

thanks
angel

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 08:02 AM
Retired
Jim

Angel I did my spare intake with the orange POR and it turned out great.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 08:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by angelglo:
(lucky for me i didnt think she was good looking or i would have bought everything).

thanks
angel
I didn't think she was all that bad looking... Okay I might have had a couple $7.oo beers at that point...

Angel;
I have used the POR-15 engine paint on a couple engines now.
The first one I did I didn't think came out all that well (thought the color was thin and it didn't cover to well) so I called and talked to them.
They recommended I use the silver POR for a Base-coat and then Top-coat with the Color I want. I first saw this as an attempt to sell more paint -but, it worked out very well.
Best results to date have been:
first coat silver
2nd coat color
3rd coat color
This resulted in a nice color depth and smooth finish, pretty close to the 'Powder-coat' look.

Hope this helps;

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

jim, john,

thanks guys. por 15 it is. jim, those pics look great. john, i did buy the silver for the under coat. in fact, a week before the show, i placed and order. during the show, i bought the orange and silver. yesterday, i receive the order that i placed on line with the main office and its the exact same order the i placed with por 15 at the show except i also ordered a quart of silver for my truck. oh well, i guess all my engines will get the por 15 treatment. john, so you are recommending 2 coats? how do the casting numbers come out under all the coats?

thanks
angel

angel

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angel;

Truthfully I wasn't to concerned about the numbers because the engines aren't 'numbers correct' anyway but, I think the color coats are thin enough that the casting numbers don't look much more hidden than Jims picts.
I used foam brushes for the top coats and found they coat well and I can control the amount of paint going into cracks, numbers and ect. better.
Did they recommend a brush type to you?

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

no,

i too had a few beers and totally forgot to ask plus my wife was giving me that look like she wanted to go. you guys know, the one where she doesnt say anything but you know what she is saying jim, which brush did you ues?

angel

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 08:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angel;

Truthfully I wasn't to concerned about the numbers because the engines aren't 'numbers correct' anyway but, I think the color coats are thin enough that the casting numbers don't look much more hidden than Jims picts.
I used foam brushes for the top coats and found they coat well and I can control the amount of paint going into cracks, numbers and ect. better.
Did they recommend a brush type to you?

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 09:44 AM
Retired
Jim

I used the cheap foam brushes, big 3" wide one for first coat but didnt dip into the can alot, just spread what kept coming off the foam. Then 2nd coat with 1" foam brush again spreading thin and the pics dont show it but the numbers still show nicely too.
I did tape off the carb mount area as shown, and put bolts in the empty showing holes too. Forgot to block the heatriser choke holes but no biggie.
I had the intake bead blasted at auto parts store before I painted it. Used the metal prep and etching as POR recommends too.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 04, 05:01 PM
Tech Team
Lonnie

Just did my block last week with Por 15. After using Marine Clean and Metal Ready, I used some Por 15 black left over from bottom of car project as base coat and then 2 coats of red. The stuff likes to run,be careful. The block turned out great, nice high gloss finish, should be easy to keep clean. The oil pan was a different story, the smooth finish really had a tendency to run. I ended up stripping pan and spraying it instead. The black Por 15 was hard to strip from pan. Sure hope it stays on bottom of my car that well. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

68 Camaro,327, vortec heads, Comp Cams XE274,Muncie M-20, 8.5 rearend, 3.73s. My 1st love,owned since 76'
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 07:01 PM
Tech Team
Will

Garage
Just a word of advice, when they say to wear latex gloves when painting, do it! I brushed POR on the bottom side of my floorpans this last Sunday without gloves, (I wasn't making a mess when I started) the next thing I know my hands are blacker than Michael Jackson used to be. Most scrubed off after 2 days, but I still have so reminders.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angel;

Just an update - just got to reading my new issue of "Classic Trucks" and there is an article - "Doing a 'POR' Job Painting an Engine" - about using POR-15.
They spray the $tuff - but it has some interesting info.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

thanks guys,

lowrida, so, are you saying it didnt turn out too good on the oil pan? if that is the case, i will powder coat it. wil, i did read on the part of wearing gloves. in fact, in the instructions, it says that if you get any on yourself, you will "wear" it for about 3 days. john, i will pick up a copy of the classic trucks. it should be good reading. plus i tear out all the interesting articles in the mags and scan them in my computer for future reference. the i put it on cd.

thanks
angel

angel

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 04, 07:13 PM
Tech Team
Lonnie

Angel, If you have the powdercoat system, I would use it on the oilpan. A local place does powdercoating and I've had most of my parts coated there. From subframe and inner wheel wells and all kinds of misc. parts. Sure looks great. Was there the other day and they coated a very pitted Chevelle rearend. After coating they blocked it with sandpaper and gave it another powdercoat. Unbeleivable, looks like glass. The wearing gloves part is a good idea, if you do get Por 15 on you, laquer thinner works good to remove it. Also if anyone is in North Dakota area, Tony's Repair in Bismarck is the place to have your powdercoating done. He has a big enough oven to do a full size frame. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

68 Camaro,327, vortec heads, Comp Cams XE274,Muncie M-20, 8.5 rearend, 3.73s. My 1st love,owned since 76'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode