pinion seal replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I need to replace the pinion seal in the rear end of my 68 12 bolt. Is this very difficult? I have never done this before. It seams to be fairly simple but I would like to know what you guys have to say about it first. Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I just did the one o my 69 12 bolt. Very easy. I just removed the driveshaft, unbolted the pinion nut and pried out the old seal. Actually I used a hammer and chisel (gently). the new seal taps in with a block and hammer. I was told I should have replaced the crush sleeve while it was out, but I could not get one locally (Sunday) so i just replaced the seal. I tightened the pinion nut just until there was no play in the pinion and then backed off a hair. I don't have a torque wrench (yet) so I treated it like a front wheel bearing.
I'm sure this is not the professional way, so I'm sure you will get feedback on the proper way as well. Hope this helps.
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes
[email protected]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech

Don't back off after tightnen the nut! You have to have preload on the pinion bearing or you will ruin the gearset, I always count the # of threads coming through the nut and replace a new nut at the same position. And always stake the new nut on the pinion, on the flat areas of the nut just hit with a punch. Once had a pinion nut work loose on a friends 69 SS Camino at the dragstrip, It was ugly, ruined everything from the transmission back, and my pants

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Here is something you might try. Put a mark on the pinion nut and mark the yoke so that you can line them up again when you put it back together. That way you shouldn't get it too tight or too loose. Put a little RTV around the outside of the seal before you drive it in, and put some grease on the seal lip before you put the yoke back in. Use some red Lock Tight on the threads of the pinion and the nut before you put the nut back on. You do not want the nut to back off later, and they do back off sometimes.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I guess my theory of treating it like a wheel bearing was wrong! Thanks for the advice. I repositoined my pinion nut tonight. I did "peen" the nut to keep it from backing off; that's what started my replacement process in the first place.
Good advice in this place. Thanks again.
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes
[email protected]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the advice guys. It sounds like a job that I can handle. As soon as it warms up a bit around here I will get it done. Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode