Anybody else have this problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

The stock radiator hose that's on my 67 camaro hits the altenator bracket. It pushes it so hard that it collapses the hose a little. What is the correct hose for this type alt bracket? Here's a pic. It seems I need one that doesn't drop down from rad. and goes a little more toward the center of the motor. Thanks

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech

Looks like the wrong bracket, or the bracket is bolted to the wrong side of the alternator mount, or both.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

The bracket is stock on my car also stock altenator never replaced and I've owned it since 1977. I changed to the 350 in 1981 that's when I went to the tougher flex rad hose but I like the stock hose better. If I move the altenator to the other side of bracket it will be way off from the w/pump pulley. I've looked at other engines and it looks like the same setup. The bracket is bolted the only place it can be bolted. Any other ideas?

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 03:48 PM

I think you need to bolt the bracket to the front of the Alt. Thats how Ive always seen them down. Nice engine, but a 1970 LT1 shouldnt have an oil fill tube going into the block, should be in the valve cover.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Moe,

Below is a pic of a stock 67 327 camaro with the alt the same place mine is in front of bracket. I know the manifold isn't correct but it's a stock hi rise and I like it. Thanks

[img]smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Don

This swivel t-stat housing from CSI should take care of it. You could angle the hose away from the bracket. Remove the oil filler tube, and plug the hole in the manifold with a soft plug. You could use a valve cover breather.

Summit also sells their own version for much less $.

http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

I just checked my 67 and the bracket is bolted in front of the alt. But I dont think that 1/2 inch front or back would cause trouble might look at a different water neck one that is angled up more.Also moght look at other brands of hoses different brands can be shaped different for the same application.Hope this helps.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Hey Guys,

Here's 2 more with bracket setup like mine and the bottom one looks untouched. I have mine apart now I'll figure something out. Thanks

[img]smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech
John

The hose that you have should be okay. It looks like you're using a chrome, aftermarket thermostat housing. The hose outlet angle on that might be different than a factory one. Try a stock GM housing. Depending on what year your intake is, you might even need the cast iron housing from a Corvette/Z28.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 03:59 AM
a67

Quote:
Originally posted by RamJam:
The stock radiator hose that's on my 67 camaro hits the altenator bracket. It pushes it so hard that it collapses the hose a little. What is the correct hose for this type alt bracket? Here's a pic. It seems I need one that doesn't drop down from rad. and goes a little more toward the center of the motor. Thanks

Try a hose from a '78 El Camino (w/305). It has a better form to clear the alternator.

Bob.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 10:35 AM

If you haven't tried already, try getting a thermostate housing that swivels so you can adjust it to where you can adjust it so your radiator hose doesn't hit it. You can find these in summit racing or the Jegs catalogs
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

a67,
I'll check out that hose. That would be the quickest fix. Hate to say this Moe and 67 plum but it's possible your altenator is on the wrong side. Thanks for your help guys.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 05:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Quote:
I think your upper hose is wrong. Just for reference I looked in a Year One catalog I have and it looks like you have a '69 or possibly a '67-'68 Z/28 upper hose not a '67.

For small blocks there are 4 different hoses for '67 (except Z/28), '67 & '68 Z/28, '68 (except Z/28) and '69.

What if you loosened the clamp at the radiator and twisted the hose counter clock wise? Would it raise the hose high enough off the belt to make do? For less than $20 I'd get the right parts...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Ok, Here's how I fixed it. I took off the stock brakt replaced it with a chrome Mr. Gasket brkt. I also enlarged the slots in the lower brkts now everything looks good and hose fits w/out being crimped. Thanks guys

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 08:20 PM
David Pozzi

Look at the 67 hose above, it has an extra bend near the radiator which helps it clear better.
The 67-68 Z/28 hose is #3892650

I think DJD is right, yours is a 69 hose which has no alt bracket to clear on that side.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode