Very Important Oil Info/ Must Read - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

The following is some information I ran accross on another board and thought it might be helpful to the rest of you. Something to keep in mind. If anyone knows more about this please share and if this is bogus let me know as well. The guy that provided the info is very "trustworthy", so I feel confident forwarding the info.

"Under pressure from the major Detroit automakers, the engine oil manufacturers have removed the zinc additive from engine oil. The really bad news is that this increases camshaft and follower failure rates enormously during the break-in time. If you can find a zinc additive for engine oil, that helps greatly. GM's EOS break=in lube has been a faithful option, too. I have heard that the Valvoline racing oil that's labled "not for highway use" may still have the zinc in it. Napa has made a commitment to keep this oil in stock."

I also read that Amsoil has the most added Zinc of any motor oil out there. I do not know if this is true or not, Click??

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

I heard that from a drag race automatic trans builder a couple a years ago. No zinc in ATF he said. He said straight 30w still had zink in it, and that I should put 1 quart of the 30w in my new trans and fill the rest with atf. Evidently the zink in oils protects the surface of bushings, like rod bearings, thrust washers etc.. It isn't a problem with ball and roller bearings though.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

This is very true. Zinc is an extreme pressure, anti-wear additive. It is used when there is metal-to-metal contact in the motor (big cams fit this bill).

As of a couple years ago, here is the zinc content of some popular oils (all 10-30W, in %):
Castrol GTX: .12
Chevron Supreme: .11
Exxon SuperFlo: .11
Exxon SuperFlo Supreme: .13
Kendal GT-1: .16
Shell Super: .13
Shell Truck: .15
Valvoline All-Climate: .11
Valvoline Turbo: .13
Valvoline Race: .20

Obviouly, Kendal GT-1 or Valvoline Race should be used for engines with moderate cams. The only downside to high zinc contents is it can lead to plug fouling, which isn't a big deal for us musclecar guys.

I urge you to use this info when choosing your oil for the next oil change! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Matt do you know how the synthetics fit in here? I thought ash was a very important part of the package as well. This is what a cam manufacture told me. He said that synthetics do not have enough ash and that why "they" didn't recommend using them with flat tappet cams. Needless to say I have used synthetic oil with no problem for years with flat tappet cams.

I don't want to side track this thread I just had a question about the ash as well.

Hopefully Click will chime in with his knowledge of oils as well.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 08:31 AM
Retired
Jim

Ive not heard of this one yet, not even on an OIL board I frequent. I will ask the powers for some input on it. If zinc was removed the new formulation would have to compensate with other additives to keep the same ratings and meet ASTM testing such as 4 ball wear etc.
I will report back here when I hear something.
Thanks for the heads up.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 09:27 AM
Retired
Jim

Inquiring minds need to know... I got this from Tech Services at Amsoil. Makes very good sense to me. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The purpose of ZDDP is for anit-oxidancy and wear prevention. The auto industry is trying to eliminate it. AMSOIL XL7500 Series oils will follow the auto industry and the established low ZDDP levels. AMSOIL's other motor oils however, will maintain high levels of ZDDP because it is good stuff, it is effective, and it is beneficial for long drain oils.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Click, I knew you would some up with some good info. Keep us informed if you don't mind.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 12:12 PM

Smile

The stuff poisons cats, that's why the EPA wants it taken out of oils. They want cats to last like 150,000 miles or so for fighting smog creating VOC's, CO and NOx that are produced and expelled out the exhaust system of engines..

What I haven't been able to find out is what the soy ester that is an extreme lubricity substance that is a component of soy diesel that we might use to replace extreme pressure zinc soaps??

I think you can add like a 1/2 pint of soy diesel to you oil and it will increase the lubricity of the oil so that you can get something like a 3 to 5 percent drop in internal friction!! And this can be a direct effect to achieve better gas mileage, imho..

Anybody have any idea??

pdq67

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Talking

What does it do to dogs?

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Royce, Click could probably answer the question about Synthetics better than I could. The only synthetic that I have data on is Valvoline Synthetic, which as .12% zinc and 1.5% ash.

I should also say that the above list applies to SG-rated oils. SL oils, which we see now, have as little .05%. Not enough IMHO, at least for a lumpy, big lift cam. Valvoline Racing and I believe Kendal GT1 are SG rated.

The percent ash in the list below gives you an idea how how much antiwear additives are in the oil (and I think detergents, too).
Castrol GTX: .85
Chevron Supreme: 1
Kendal GT-1: 1
Valvoline All-Climate: 1
Valvoline Turbo: .99
Valvoline Race: 1.2

Again, Valvoline Race seems like the best choice.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Well if all Zinc does is kill cats I think they should double the amount in all oils

Matt thanks for the info, I have been running Mobil 1 and have sworn by it, I will have to read up a little on it to see where it stands.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

double post.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 04, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

this is very interesting....I guess when I do my first oil change on my camaro, it is getting valvoline race!

Not to sidetrack to much. But on a similar note, I am having my 700r4 rebuilt this week. What kind of trans fluid do you guys reccomend for best performance/longevity?

<a href="http://atlas.walagata.com/w/artfuldodgerv2/AAAA0017.JPG" target="_blank">68 RS</a> : 383, performer RPM heads, Victor Jr. Intake, Holley 780 DP, Crower 224HR232, 700R4 trans, 4.56:1 10 bolt. - driven every day
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 04, 06:39 PM

Redline! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 04, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech

somehow I knew that was comeing...hehe.

<a href="http://atlas.walagata.com/w/artfuldodgerv2/AAAA0017.JPG" target="_blank">68 RS</a> : 383, performer RPM heads, Victor Jr. Intake, Holley 780 DP, Crower 224HR232, 700R4 trans, 4.56:1 10 bolt. - driven every day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode