We will make this 700R live if it kills us!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Some of you are probably aware that I am trying to make a 700R live behind a NITROUSED Big Block with roughly 600HP.

I have broken the tranny I beleive 5 times now (Right Larry???). Anyway, the reason I am posting this is that I should shortly have a combination of parts that will work or I will let you guys know that you can IMO forget about making the damn thing live with this power level.

This car is a daily driver so it gets hammered ALL the time. Larry (INJSTREETRODS) is bullheaded enough and so am I, that we will try this JUAN MORE TIME and I will let you guys know the results.

If we can get this tranny to work right for me, it will work for ANYBODY!!!

We by the way are open to any suggestions from anyone having experience with daily driven big power BB/700R combos.

Stay tuned!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

sr71bb,

What exactly is breaking? Is it the same thing or something different?

I wish you the best of luck. I'll be right there with you as the Pro-Charged 406 in my 72 is running. I'm waiting on a special blower belt tensioner and brace. The current set-up (12 rib belt) will only hold 5 psi of boost (typical of Pro Charger systems). I'll have the new set-up next week and then off to the dyno and street flogging.

I run a much-modified 2004R that is SUPPOSED to handle 700-800 h.p. and 700 ft. lbs. I should be right there with this combo.

Again, good luck!!! I was curious what was breaking as I wanted to call the guy that did mine for ideas. He ONLY does 2004R's but has a lot of billet pieces that fit the 700's.

Jody
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Thumbs up

I hope you guy's can get it. If and when you do, let us know what it'll take. And by the way, 600 h.p. as a daily driver? I'll have to go back and see what you do for a living.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am in the computer software implementation business. NT, Cisco Routers, Bridges, Virus Killer etc.

Mostly I am burning up clutches (3-4) but I have also shattered an input drum. I have got some HEAVY duty stuff coming in and we (how do you like that WE Larry??) are going to try to bullitt proof it next week I Hope

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

greg,

You should just take the weight penalty and go with a 4L80E. I would like to see you break one of those!! I hear they are very stout.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 11/29/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Gene,

I talked to JET about that and the computer ALONE to control that tranny is $1,500.00. It seemed pretty slick though because you could burn a couple of chips for it (strip or street for instance) and you could dial in EXACTLY what you wanted your shifts to be and it would shift that way EVERY time by itself by leaving it in drive.

The second alternative would be to put my T400 back in and get a Gear Vendors overdrive unit (gear splitter also). The vendors unit is 2,200 dollars.

My overall preference is to get the 700R working right because of it's weight and the fact I have around 2,500 dollars in it now.

Oh well , will see!!!

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

$1,500 for the computer? That's unbelievable.

I bet you will have as much in the 700 when it's where you want it as you would have by starting with the 4L80E. Just think of all the R&D you are doing. Maybe you could start your own tranny business afterwards!!

I've thought that Gear Vendors was pretty damn proud of their stuff based on the selling price. You can get a Richmond or Tremec tranny for the cost of their OD unit. I think it is WAY too expensive for what you get. Who cares that it will handle up to 1,200 HP if your tranny will only handle 600 HP? They need a street version for half the price.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 11/29/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You absolutely right Gene,

I ALWAYS wind up spending more money than if I had started out with the right combination to begin with. That's why I like to share the info because if I can help somebody else avoid some of the pitfalls maybe they will do the same thing for me someday.

I ALWAYS live on the BLEEDING edge of technology anyway some I do expect to have R&D issues. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 12-15-2000).]
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

A guy around here was trying to get a 700R4 built by Art Carr to work in his 97 SS conv with a supercharged 383 dyno'd at 910 hp and they couldn't do it. It kept breaking. So he went with a TH400. He's running 9.9's in the quarter and it's completely street legal and emissions legal in NJ!

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yea Jeff,

I know what you mean. I have talked at length with the Art Carr folks. As a matter of fact I ordered a steel reinforced input drum from them that is supposed to be here on Monday.

The Art Carr guy I talked with even mentioned to me about a 850HP SB car that was running one of their trannys. He may have been refferring to the car you mentioned. It sounded a little too good to be true but all I need for the tranny to do is to live behind 600HP!!!

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 01:03 PM

Question

Why is the 200-R4 able to take the power and not the 700-4R??

Art Carr says that they are good for what 700/800 horses?? And like torque?? pdq67

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 03:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Greg,

Those drums and other trick parts that make those things live are built by Performance Transmissions in Sacramento; that's who built my 2004R. He sells them to Art Carr and others. He has to pay about $10,000-$15,000 to have them "pulled apart" by some NASA-type company to determine how strong they really are!

I actually was going to have Art Carr build my trans until I found out the local guy developed the parts they use.

Again, good luck!

Jody
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the tip Jody!!! And as far as why a 200 is stronger than a 700, it isn't as far as I know. It inherently is weaker and unless there are some trick parts that can make it stronger, I don't see any way that it would hold up as well as a 700 but WTH do I know????
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Damn,

I hate it when I answer my own questions!!! I just got through talking to Bruce over at Performance Transmissions (916-739-0510) in Sacremento and it DOES appear that with aftermarket Parts YOU CAN make the 200 CONSIDERABLY stonger than the 700. WHY???? Well, there apparently are BILLET steel replacement parts for the 200. Right now at least, there are no such parts available (billet steel that is) for the 700. I am going to call another R700 guru and I will post more info here.

And the saga continues......
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

UPDATE#2

I just talked with Mike over at YANK Converter and he made a couple of interesting comments:

1. The RPM limit of the R700 is about 6300.
2. Over 500 ft. lbs and you can forget it.
3. LS-1's with 100 shot are breaking R700's.

The transmission design is such that when the tranny doesn't have enough time to perform a shift operation then in effect two sets of gear clutches are applied at the same time and that is what will burn out the 3-4 clutches eventually. Excessive HP or torque will cause there to be not enough time (over the design limits mentioned above.) So there you have it!!! This can ESPECIALLY come into play when MANUALLY downshifting under WOT operations.

He also mentioned that they (YANK) used to have one of the GM engineers that designed the 700 working there and he pretty much confirmed the aforementioned scenario.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode