To Rebuild or not to Rebuild that is the ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 04, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 68 ragtop with the factory 327 210hp motor. Dual exhaust has been added, Edelbrock intake manifold and 625 cfm carb have been added to give it a little bit more punch, but no where near what I want. So the question is with the 327 block could the block easily be built to generate 400 hp and if so what would be the best route to take to get there. Or would I be money ahead by buying a crate motor from Jegs or the like - 350 with 400 hp seem to pretty common. Furthermore, if I build an engine to 400 hp, will I need to replace the 10 bolt rear with a 12?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 04, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...c/4/9571.html?

Welcome phoenixdawg. Check this thread out just up the page from here. [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 04, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Welcome indeed! Right now, there are 4 or 5 of us having that exact discussion. I suppose the first question, after you read the other posts, is: Does having the original engine in stock condition have value to you? and the second is: Where (in the rpm range) do I want that power?

A 327 can give you 400 HP, but it's gonna have to rev to do it.

a 383 will do it easy, at a much lower rpm, and with loads more low rpm torque.

You can get a stroker kit for the 327, but then it will NEVER be stock again. Or you can go crate, for near the same $$$.

Either way, your stock heads will not cut it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 04, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech

Torque is what makes street cars fun. 327s are great engines but they do not have anywhere near the low speed torque of a 350 or anything bigger.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 04, 03:12 AM
s4h
Senior Tech
Scott

i have a 327 short block for sale trw pistons , steel crank , bored 30 over .just needs to be assembled. $400.00 and its yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode