Screwed once again by a machine shop, where are the honest people? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Well, this is the third time Ive been jacked around by some machine shop. As some of you may remember, I recently spun 3 main bearings in my 383.

Last week brought the crankshaft to a local machine shop to have it reground, and I asked them to make sure that the fillet was ground the same. The guy said he would do it and it was no problem, so I didnt think twice I left it there for him to do the job.

Sure enough, he puts a standard radii on the journals instead of the .125 I asked for that he said he could do. Whats with people!? I just want what I pay for and I cant even get work done without numerous problems.

So, I have some advice AND a question for you guys(and gals?). My advice is, dont go to machinist unless you are ABSOLUTE POSITIVE of thier background and reputation.

My question is, with the smaller radii on the journals has this dramaticly degraded my crankshafts strenght? It was rated at 800hp when I bought it, and its 5140 forged steel. What should I say to these people? Should I demand a refund? A new crankshaft?

Im very unsettled about this whole thing, Ive been thru so much with this motor I just dont know what to do or who to trust anymore. I just want to go fast, is that so much to ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and they didnt even chamfer the oil holes! Come to find out thats part of the job any where else I would have went! I want to put sugar in that guys gas tank so bad!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 07:28 AM
Bill

383, ( I wish you guys would use your names !
Not to doubt you, but did you actually measure the radius with a radius gauge ? Did the crank definitely have a big radius on it when it was new ? If not, you cannot increase it.
If they are wrong...go back and tell the guy and tell him you want a new crank. Thats what I would do.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Sounds like a major miscommunication to me. I doubt they would do that on purpose - there's no reason to cheat you over something that small.

I personally don't think that there is a major strength loss with the smaller radii. Its a bummer though because I'm sure you paid for that large radii when you bought this crank originally. Just make sure you use the right bearings.

ps. I found out that sometimes machine shops send out cranks for grinding so its possible the shop you are working with didn't even do it themselves. At least around here that seems to be the way it goes. (it's cheaper to send it out unless you do a big volume I think)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

They do the grinding there, and the polish was done nicely it looks great. Im just concerned about the radius, I remember when putting it in the motor last time it had to have the different "H" bearings because of the larger radii. Now I can fit standard clevite77 "P" bearings, although I did order and recieve the H bearings already in anticipation of having a fresh large radius crankshaft.

I wouldnt be so upset if he would have atleast done the damn oil holes, now I have to take the heavy thing back to get it done and wait some more. Oh well,one of these days I will have a nice running small block. I know I probably sound like a bitch, but Im getting a bit frustrated and I miss driving my camaro. Thanks for input though guys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 01:05 PM
Tech Team

All I can say is Hang In There nitrous!!! Your day of pavement stopping is on it's way. Machine shops aren't the only ones that don't give you what you paid for. When I bought my car I bought what I thought was a 350small block. When I went to rebuild it (after buying most of my parts i.e. 350 pistons) I found out at the machine shop, getting ready to get the pistons pressed on that they were actually 327 pistons and obviously I had a 327crank!!! The guy I bought the car from moved and I can't do anything about it. I had to buy a new crank too. If I had known I was going to need a new crank, I would have had the block clearenced for a storker...
Live and learn.
good luck
jeff

[This message has been edited by JefeOsterhead (edited 11-01-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode