out of the hood blower or under the hood supercharger... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

i have been planning big project for my 87 IROC right, now it has been prepped suspension/tranny/everything ready to take on 1000HP. all i have left to do is an engine. on one side i have an 825HP dual carb blown 383 small block and the other is a 383 TPI N/A 530HP wich i would add a ATI Procharger to. now i would like this car to be driven daily (dont care about gas)i was wondering if a blower that comes out of my hood would be affected in rain driving? would i need a speacial air scoop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ
I've never owned or known any one with a blower, but I would think yes that if a blower is sticking out of the hood and the air cleaner is getting saturated with rain, it would affect the engine, but it sure would look cool as hell on a nice sunny day. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 11:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I like the stealthness of an under-hood blower. Eliminates the rain factor, and they can make plenty of power.

From the outside:

But under the hood:

Here's a small block version:

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Angry

Camcojb--

That car is freakin' BAD ***!

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FASTZ:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ckaram:
Camcojb--

That car is freakin' BAD ***!
I couldn't agree more! Jody has his act together.

No offense to Jody, but I only wished I had that kinda cash to sink in my ride. Jody, any chance you could get me a killer paying job? California sounds alright to me.
</font>[/QUOTE]

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Thanks guys! Jobs are getting tougher around here, and may get even tougher still. I'm lucky that business is good for me.

Jody

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Smile

I just finished this 468 with Weiand 8-71. It's not even in a Camaro , but I'd thought I would balance things out with the through the hood roots option.

This does not compare with Jody's alloy masterpiece but it is still a lot of fun. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And again, unlike Jody, I don't have any real data yet, just a DD2000 guess of about 800 horse at the crank....that's @ 9psi, which I don't have the guts to try yet [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] Just at 6 now.

284 Nitrous HP cam, Edelbrock RPM heads, Edelbrock 750's, MSD, Hedman 2" Jet-Hot coated headers, Coan 10" converter and TH400.

As far as the driving in the rain, I think I would just park it, and wait out the storm [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

Something doesn't sound good about large amounts of water entering the scoop.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Don, that thing definitely compares!!!! Awesome looking! Although I wouldn't recommend it, I used to have a 6-71 on a 70 Camaro that was my only car. I drove it in the rain and never had a problem. It was fun to watch the water fling off the belt.

Jody

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 01:32 PM
kel
Senior Tech

camcojb, very nice set up there. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I also like the stelth approach. My friend, Gene (gheatly here) has an under hood supercharger as well. Look for it in an upcoming article in Hot Rod magazine. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

If I ever do another Camaro, that's how I am going to approach it.

Kel

2007 Dodge Charger

Pursue Perfection..Settle For Excellence!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Yeah, Gene is a good guy. He's using a ProCharger too on a small block ZZ I believe.

They're a lot of fun!

Jody

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 08:01 PM

With the Roots, when it rains, swap pulleys and up the boost...free water injection!

Jody, Don, those are just flat out freaking awesome. Did you do the body work Jody?

Chad
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 09:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I did the body work on Don's car but I made him paint it! I wanted him to learn, besides it's his car! His first paint job and it turned out very nice. Could have spent even more time on it but he was anxious to get the car going. Body and paint work can get old in a hurry!!!!!!!

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode