Waterpump short or long? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm in the process of trying to scrounge up some brackets for my impending power steering conversion. Everyone wants to know if I have a long water pump or short one. Considering this is my first big block, I'm not sure which one I have currently. Aside from getting the #'s off the waterpump, what's an easy way to determine short or long? I've got everything I need except for a few brackets, suggestions anyone? KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

[This message has been edited by kz1000ltd (edited 12-22-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 09:05 AM
kel
Senior Tech

Hey John,

Is your alternator on the drivers side or passengers?

Drivers side = Short
Passengers side = Long

I have all the pulleys for the long if you are lacking any.

Kel

------------------
It never ends...it just keeps getting better!
www.geocities.com/gorkcp/Body-Work-1.html
www.geocities.com/gorkcp/Body-Work-2.html

[This message has been edited by kel (edited 12-22-2000).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Kel,
My alternator is on the passenger side. You've got some brackets, eh? If you start looking for them now, maybe I can come pick them up come springtime...... I'd hate for you to have to go through another scavenger hunt, just for me......I've got one bracket, the big one that holds the pump, I just need the adjusting bracket. Let me know if you can find them. Thanks.........KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 05:26 PM
kel
Senior Tech

Sorry kz,

I don't have the brackets, just the pulleys (and I know exactly where they are )

You have a long water pump though if the alt is on the pass side.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 10:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Have you looked at trucks in the junkyards? Long water pump big blocks were a very standard setup for a long time.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech

The year break on all this long pump, short pump thing was 68. 67 and 68 big blocks had SHORT water pumps with alt. on the Driver's side. 69 BB had LONG water pumps and the alt. on the passenger side.

Now here's the deal in my own 69 big block. I USE a 68 style shorty water pump and 68 brackets to put the alt. on the driver's side. WHY you ask???? Well, because I wanted my Vintage Air compressor to be on the PASSENGER side so I wouldn't have to run those ugly AC hoses all over my engine compartment.

Secondly, superchargers need to be mounted on the driver's side and it is much easier to move an alt. around than it is a AC compressor. (And no, I don't have a supercharger because I currently prefer NO2 but I am always looking ahead towards new toy options).

The only problem I found with this 68 combo is that you need to use a deep groove alt. pulley to keep from throwing off the belt at high RPMS. The 69 setup utilizes a much shorter alt. belt because of the bracket position on the pass. side and this is not as much of a issue with this combo.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 05:58 PM

Lightbulb

JimM hit the nail on the head.

look in big truck at your local junk yard. now i am talking high cube, cab overs, what not(not the average 1/2 ton standard truck). basically they share many parts with the chevy trucks(1/2 ton) like the doors and stuff, but sometimes you may find big blocks under the hood, and not the desiel motors. i lifted the hood on a 70 something big truck and staring out at me was a 454 long pump with the Holley double pumper still on it. looked like the truck could still run. most of these trucks are loke car haulers, tow trucks, or flat bed dump trucks.

good luck, Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode