How to check head gasket? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Question

Can't keep fluid in my cooling system, and am concerned that it might be a head gasket. Checked the oil on the dipstick and all looks good. Have changed the radiator cap and I have an overflow system. Car never gets hot, it just continues to puke fluid out of the overflow. When I checked the radiator this afternoon, it was only about half full! I also noticed that when I shut the car off, I can see bubbles in the overflow and can hear fluid/air moving through cap and overflow tube. Buddy thinks this might be a head gasket and exhaust gases are getting into the system. How do I confirm, before I pull the head?

Marty
69 Camaro, Goodwrench 350, TrickFlow Twisted Wedge heads, Lunati Bracket Master II 292 duration cam (00010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 06:47 PM

Pull the plugs in each cylinder and note thier condition. You can normally narrow it down to a cylinder by looking at the individual plug color.

Next would be a compression test and/or a cooling system pressure test to determine the pin point aera.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech

Remove the radiator cap (engine cool), then fire it up and watch for lots of bubbles building in the radiator. If it is, then definately a blow head gasket. Does there seem to be an excessive amount of moisture out the tailpipes?

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Chicane67, I'll pull those plugs and post a picture (they were just installed about a week ago). Pictures of the plugs that just came out of the car are here Plugs

Any thought by looking at these? This was right after I started having the problem. How do I go about doing a cooling system test and narrowing this down?

Travis, I checked the radiator but I didn't see any small bubbles. I did see some small black "moldy" looking pieces floating around - maybe part of the gasket? I haven't noticed any moisture in the tailpipes.

Marty
69 Camaro, Goodwrench 350, TrickFlow Twisted Wedge heads, Lunati Bracket Master II 292 duration cam (00010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech

The top right plug doesn't look healthy at all!! Is that moisture in the picture built up on it? Rust even?

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

second plug from left, top row, could be a sign of a coolant leak in that cylinder. note how clean it looks, compared to the rest, (which look pretty bad, by the way, shame on you ,j/k), even a small amount of water in the cylinder will do that. at this point i'd look at that cylinder, and do the things chicane suggested, compression and pressure tests. good luck with it

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Don

There is also a shade tree method without the need of test equipment.

Drain coolant down to thermostat level.
Remove thermostat housing and the thermostat.
Take off the belt that drives the water pump.
Start engine for a short time.
Watch for bubbles in the coolant.

Then of course change out both head gaskets.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 04:50 PM
Bill

Marty,
Any up to date auto shop should have a combustion gas anylizer. You take the radiator cap off, place this device in its place and run the engine. The device has a clear tube filled with a special fluid. If the fluid changes color, there is combustion gas getting into the cooling system. Very simple test. Some guys use an AC leak detector, but I am not certain as to its accuracy.
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check it all, but from the reaction I see here, looks like an engine stand and hoist are in my future. What the hell, I have been thinking about going to a thinner head gasket anyway to get the compression up a bit on this Goodwrench short block. Give me a good excuse to check what Lunati cam is in it at the same time!

Where were you guys when I posted the spark plug pics about a couple of weeks ago!?!?!

I'll post what I find...thanks again.

Marty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode