385 fast burn crate motor - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I was reading some past posts on this engine and looked it up in the GMPP catalog. The torque is rated at 385- what do you think it would be after adding the HOT cam and 1.6 rockers? What about headers? Does anyone make them yet? One post here said that Jim Pace offered them (hedman)- but I did not see them on the web site. Don't have the catalog yet so maybe some of you have some insight on the situation.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I just got my Jim Pace 330hp crate today. I talked with them about the 385 fast burn and they said there was a couple things you could add to boost it way over 400hp - I think that was the Hot cam you are talking about. (I didn't discuss it much because it was outta my league)
I also got the Hedman headers from Jim Pace. ($169 for painted, $369 for coated) They are "shortys" for ground clearance. Jim Pace guys said the old "round" port headers would fit, but not seal. The Hedmans have "D" shaped ports for the Vortec heads. Their prices are really reasonable for all the performance parts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

i work at a gm dealership and bought fast burn heads for my 350. i have'nt ran it yet but i called gm on what kind of headers to use. i already had bought hooker super comps.they said just take a gasket bolt to the heads and ream the exhaust holes to the shape of the heads and then take the gasket and bolt to the headers and reem the headers to the same shape

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Jay,

How's the married life going? The fastburn 385 puts out ~435-440HP and ~420-430 ft/lbs with hot cam and 1.6 rockers. Per Salle Chevrolet, the performer rpm gives it around 3-4 more hp and 5 ft/lbs torque.

------------------
Jay 69 SS-350
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies- that's about what I was thinking. Just comparing to the zz4. Just might go w/ the 385. Greg-- what dealership do you work for? I also work for one. What do you do there? We aren't that far apart.
Jaybird-- married life is good so far. How is your wife doing? hope everything is well. Thanks fellas.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 11:04 AM
David Pozzi

I was just at SEMA in Las Vegas and talked to an Edelbrock rep. He stated the fast burn head has an intake flange angle 1.5 degrees different than the older chev engines used in the 60's and 70's.
Keep an eye out for intake leaks when using the older non-vortech bolt patern intakes.
These heads are apparently drilled for std and Vortech type bolt patterns.
I have no way of verifying what he said is true.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

hay jay i work at jeff johnson chevy in hillsville va.about 30 min. from mt. airy nc.i a service tech. i bought the intake they used on the zz430 as well as the fast burn heads i also cut the heads 40 hope to get some horses. how close are you to me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 00, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Greg-- I am about 2 1/2 hours or so away from Mt. Airy. I guess that would put us roughly 3 hours away from each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode