t-56 install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Question

I need any info that enybody might have on a t-56 install kit.I have a 2000 t-56 for a LS-1.eny help would be greatly appreciated.I will be putting this in a 67 rs with 4:10 gears and a 427 big block 550 hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

I'd recommed getting a T56 from a LT1. The LS1 is a real pain to adapt until someone make a custom bellhousing.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/tyler_beauregards_68_camaro/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 01, 07:10 AM
Tech Team
Brad

I'd like to throw this out for discussion. There are less and less LT1 T56's and more and more LS1 T56's out there (due to the passage of time). There is only one bolt difference between the LS1 and LT1 bellhousing (all the other bolts line up) and the LS1 input shaft is .400 longer than the LT1 (but still share the 1-1/8" X 26 spline). So, if we make an aluminum plate .400" thick with holes drilled for the trans/LT1 bellhousing, and then machine the plate for the stud for the LT1 clutch fork. So in conclusion, use the LT1 Clutch & fork, LT1 Flywheel, LT1 bellhousing, then the plate and the LS1 T56 trans. Just an idea. I am a draftsman so I could draw up a plate if anyone wants to pursue this. I have been thinking about it for a while now. Also, this would easily allow for use of the Viper T56 (rated at 550 lb*ft)I know its not the easiest most ellegant soloution, but after all its what Borg Warner did to get a T56 to attach to a t5 bellhouse. Oh yeah, one more thing, this could also work with a Weir Bellhousing and Hydraulic Throw out bearing. The plate can just be machined for it. The weir bellhousing would make the swap to a big block that much easier (standard clutch, flywheel, and starter) send me an email or post a response if you think this is a good idea, or not

[This message has been edited by brad6899 (edited 03-16-2001).]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 01, 08:16 AM
Tech Team

I read somewhere that weir has a bellhousing in devolepment for the ls1 t-56 to a chevy.

------------------
Sean James
67 camaro convertible
454 - 700r4
4:10 12 bolt
69 Firebird
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 01, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech

It's a good idea, but why use a LT1 clutch fork? The hydraulic clutch on the LS1 is easily adapted to the first gen if you are using the LS1 version of the T56. Why not cut off the extra .400" off the input shaft as well? It's do-able, but there are still plenty of LT1 style T56's out there. i see them every day for 900-1500.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/tyler_beauregards_68_camaro/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 01, 03:56 AM
Tech Team
Brad

Hey, you are the guy making the conversion kit, correct? Let me spin this off of everyody: How hard is it to change the input shaft? I keep seeing that 69 Yellow camaro "hot rod of the year" (or something) that has a small block with and LT1 bellhousing and "Viper" transmission. Did that guy use an adapter? Also can you use the LS1 clutch with 'standard' Chevy V8? My ultimate goal is to hang a factory T56 behind a 400 Pontiac, which is why i ask about input shaft length etc.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 01, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech

The only way you are going to get a T56 behind a pontiac is with the aftermarket version of the T56. It's the same one they sell to mate to the T5 bellhousing. The input shaft is not too hard to do, but requires some special tools. A tranny shop could probably do this for around 500 bucks. The yellow 69 Camaro you are reffering to is the Twister, and Kyle Tucker switched input shafts to use the Viper T56. Mark Steilow has been doing this for over 4 years too. I have yet to convert a LS1 T56 to a first gen, and don't know about the clutch. I think you could use the clutch as long as you used all of it with the hydrualics. You would need a 1pc rear main seal for that. As far as a pontiac, you are very limited to T56's that you can use. The easiest and cheapest is the afterarket one.
Tyler

------------------
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:27 AM
Tech Team

Weir has a bellhousing for a pontiac engine with a LT1 T-56. Suppose to be available in april, same price as the chevy.

------------------
Sean James
67 camaro convertible
454 - 700r4
4:10 12 bolt
69 Firebird
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 11:00 AM
Tech Team
Brad

WOOHOO! Does Weir have a web page? What is their phone number?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all your info. I finly called WEIR (hot rod products). They offer a kit that includes a 356 t6 cast aluminum heat treated bellhousing, to make up for the extra legnth. self adjusting hydraulic release bearing assembly. steel block plate. pressure and bleed tubing. all necessary bots, for 560$.also a master cyl. kit for 66$ You will have to make a new crossmember, or buy one. This way you will be able to use a standerd fly wheel and clutch of your chioce, and use the same starter. Almost forgot you will have to shorten your drive shaft.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

the phone # for bob WEIR is (order line)1-800-633-9869. (tech line)1-707-647-0513
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode