Flywheel recommendations?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Looking for a new flywheel for my 68. Car has a 350, 4 speed, 3.55 posi, headers w/40 Flowmasters, RPM perf. and 600 vac. sec. holley. Need feedback on the best for less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech

orench hows the weather there? never mind don't tell me.Anyway, last year i converted my 327 275 hp to a 4 speed, and i used a 11 inch flywheel and clutch. had a 10.5 flywheel in my 69 z and was'nt happy at all with it as far as launches. As far as my 327 wow what a difference! the 11 inch clutch explodes of the line, and has good pickup at mid/high range cruising speeds. i'm sure you will get other input to use a 10.5 clutch but i'm sold on a 11 inch. GM used a 11 inch in the ss350 cars. look at it this way, when you put the big block in, you'll be set up for it clutch wise. the best place to find a good used flywheel is probably on this site or some vendors such as Ricks, DR, or a new one from Summit or Jegs. good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Don't forget your local Chevy dealer. There are several hi perf GMPP flywheels available.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

I would look for a nodular iron flywheel and have it resurfaced and neutral balanced. You should be able to find one at junk yard or check with a clutch shop. The clutch shop could also do any machining needed. The size could be dependent on your starter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Weather? HOT with rainy afternoons as we step out of the hurricane season. Haven't check with any Chevy dealer here, but I doubt they are willing to go the extra mile to help with older applications. I'll give them a try anyway. As for nodular flywheels in junkyards here, no kidding, 99.99% of them have cars from the last 20 years the most, unless that part comes out of newer models. My only option, for that kind of parts, has been mail order but I'm uncertain from which company and whats the best for the money. Thanks

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Hey Orench, I'll have to come check you out next time I'm over there in PR. Do you ever come to St. Thomas???? Hit me back channel at [email protected]

------------------
1969 RS/SS CAMARO
350 / 4 spd. Rallye Green
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Any time Pal, just went there for our "Luna de Miel".

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 04:32 AM

Felicidades!
I went with the Hays 10.5" set-up in my 69. Picked the flywheel up from GMPP for about $172 (one piece rear seal). If your motor is the older style, two piece rear seal, you'll be looking at $155. My buddy brought a container to Guatemala and I escaped without having to pay shipping (it's heavy). Being in Puerto Rico I would at least take a look in the boneyards to see what they got. If there is a descent muscle car scene over there you would be surprised at what you can find or trade for with other enthusiasts. As for the performance of the smaller flywheel and clutch, I can't complain. But my car is pretty mild compared to the rides of these speed junkies in here I agree with ORAMAC68, if you plan on stuffing a big block in your car go with the larger set-up.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Orench, go to www.scoggindickey.com and look thru their online catalog to get the part number you want. They are a Chevy dealer in Lubbock, Texas.

You can then take the part number to your local dealer and have them order it for you. Or you could order the flywheel from Scoggin Dickey. Their price would be much better, but you would have to pay shipping and handling, so it may still be cheaper overall to buy locally. Flywheels are expensive to ship due to their weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode