Engine reassembly questions... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Question

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 69 396 motor and I'm about ready to re-assemble. Here are a few questions I have since it's been about 30 years since I put one back together.

What bolts do I need to put anti-sieze on?
What bolts need sealer and what type?
What gaskets need gasket sealer?

I plan on running thread cleanouts on all bolt holes and I have the one piece oil pan gasket. I have steel shim gaskets for the heads that I plan on spraying with copper coat before tightening them down. Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks! [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

1968 Chevelle SS396<br />L-78 1969 396/375 hp<br />4-speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 03:17 AM
Tech Team

Here is some help... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] http://www.2quicknovas.com/torque.html

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="
target="_blank">http://www.ontariocamaroclub.com/</a>
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Put sealer on any bolt that comes in contact with the water jacket, i.e. head bolts, manifold, water pump. Use the blue engine silicone, you'll be able to locate it at your local auto store. Also use the silicone on the corners of the lower timing cover to oilpan gasket, and at the corners of the heads to the rim gaskets as well as the ledge for the intake manifold. You may want to smear a small amount around each of the ports from the intake to the heads.. Just to keep any water from seeping through.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
69Huggrrr - That is a good site.
Nantooch - Thanks for the pointers.

1968 Chevelle SS396<br />L-78 1969 396/375 hp<br />4-speed Muncie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 04, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I gotta disagree with the silicone thing. Use a sealer on ALL head bolts, manifold, and water pump. This is correct. DON'T use silicone on these. I use a Permatex product in the can called High Tack. Just dip the threads in the can or brush it on and thread into place. Use high tack on all other fiber gaskets if needed. Use a black silicone in places where gaskets meet, i.e. manifold gasket corners (can use silicone instead of rubber/cork end seals), if not using a one piece oil pan gasket (recommended) use the silicone at the corners where the gasket meets the seals. Silicone has a tendency to ooze out and a small bit can break off in the engine and clog things up (not often, but it does happen). I like the black silicone because it seems to hold up better and resist oil and fuel better. I have used High Tack for over thirty years and never found a reason to change. Use it sparingly as you only want to seal small imperfections, not canyons. Don't smear sealer all over the intake gaskets, just around the water ports (if needed). Just smear one side so the manifold can come off in the future. AutoZone has the High Tack and black silicone. Remember, using less is a good thing. Just enough to get the job done.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 04, 10:46 AM

Angry

Permatex, Indianhead Shellac Gasket Cement on all bolts going through to water. In the shoe polish, dauber bottle.. A little daub will do you fine..

And on the waterpump gaskets and all others but clean up any excess to make her look pretty..

And Black RTV at the corners of the intake and pan..

And right-on about the Copper-Cote for the headgasket..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode