Sumped stock tank vs Fuel Cell - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 03, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

What do you guys think is a better way to go?? Overall cost ??

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Are you going to run an electric fuel pump? If so I say you should go with a cell (in the trunk). If you are running a mechanical pump I would put a sump on your stock tank. It isn't hard to do but, make sure you clean the tank VERY well. I flushed mine several times and filled it with water while welding it. Dry ice works well (to prevent an explosion). The problem with running a sump on your stock tank with an electric fuel pump is, you need to mount the pump lower than the sump, in my case there wasn't a good place. I ended up going to a fuel cell, I was having fuel starvation problems with anything under 1/2 tank due to the pump not being low enough.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 03:44 PM

I have an electric pump on a stock tank, and it isn't lower than the tank, probably about right in the middle of the tank, and it works fine

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 03, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Cody,
Where is the pick-up on your tank? Electric fuel pumpa push fuel better than pull fuel, the opposite is the case for mechanical (they pull better than push). I assume you are using the stock pick-up which comes from the top of the tank. In this case you are creating a syphon, once the pump is primed. This is a whole different issue when pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank (as he is talking about) with a sump.

In either case it is still recommended you mount the pump lower than the tank with a filter between the tank/cell and the pump.

Cody I am willing to bet you can not get all the fuel out of your tank with your pump above the bottom of the tank. You will begin to suck air well before your tank is empty. This is the whole reason someone would want to put a sump on a tank to begin with. Assuming you are using a stock style pick up once the fuel gets low enough to slosh (probably about the level your pump is mounted) your fuel pressure will begin to bounce (do you have a fuel pressure gauge?). The reason it bounces is because you are starting to suck air, this in not a problem when cruising around town but, get on it hard for more that a few seconds and you will feel the loss in performance. If your setup is working the way you want it that's great but, from experience the pump (electric) should be as close as possible and lower than the bottom of the tank/cell.

Also you should use a relay and fuse to wire an electric pump (or anything else that draws significant current, i.e. fans)

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode