Post wreck: Temperature gauge says waay hot, engine seems fine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Wink

I just put my camaro back together after my wreck on Friday. Front end collision: No engine damage, no radiator damage. Just cosmetics (body damage and slight frame bend. Got it all straightened out drove it this evening. Within 1 to 2 minutes my temp is telling me that I'm at 250-260 degrees! So I shut it off, check my hoses and radiator cap. Hoses are warm, radiator cap is fairly cool, and just filled up the fluid. No intense heat coming off of the engine. I thought perhaps it was a sticking thermostat but my radiator return hose is full of hot water. My question is this: Is it possible that its just my gauge? Has this happened to anyone else? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1993 6 cyl coupe. Bumble bee yellow and black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 10:17 PM
Tech Team
Bill

sounds like there could be air in the engine. You may need to bleed the air out of your cooling system.

1969 Camaro X44 *under contruction
350/4 speed
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Cool

How do I bleed the air out of my cooling system? Just drain the radiator and pump water through for a few minutes?

1993 6 cyl coupe. Bumble bee yellow and black

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

It is called burping the engine. You can pull the top hose off the radiator and fill it up a bit and put it on without losing all the water. Start it up and let it run until the thermostat opens. Push down on any part of the top hose to let the water push the air out. Also, check to make sure all of your body ground straps are hooked up and your sending unit is hooked up too. BE CAREFUL to not get hit by the fan if the engine is running.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

My friend had the samething happen, temp guage was reading 260*F but the engine didnt appear to be over heating. He shut off the engine called me and I came over 30 mins later, engine was pretty much cooled off but the temp guage still read 230*F. He had the temp guage go bad, it was a good quality autometer mechanical guage too. It scared the [email protected]#$ out him because his engine was only a few months old and he paid over $3K for it.

70 Camaro, 355, th350, 4.10 posi.
74 Trans Am, 400, th400, 2.73 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode