Car wont idle down after driven - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a fresh 350 with an edelbrock perf rpm cam and 750edel carb. The carb was untouched from previous engine along with the distributor and heads but everything else is new.
My ? is, when I start the car and just sit the car idles good, and the temp stays cool. After I drive it for abit the temp becomes harder to control and the car never idles back down when stopped.
I have messed with the timing many-a-time. It's only helped a bit. I'm thinking since the heads are crappy irons and I'm running 10:1 that somehow when the car is warm there is some kinda of detonation going on to keep it from idling down. I don't hear anything though, and the car runs strong?
any help would be great.
jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Me thinks it's too lean! Set timing first, then use a vacuum gauge to set the idle mixture screws. Do not have the rpm above 800 for this or you run the risk of the primaries being involved. Reset mechanical idle as you adjust mixture.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 05:21 PM

sound like possibly you have a vacum leak somewhere,to check this take a rag and cover the carb throat ,if the engine dies you don't have any problems

------------------

1972 chevy camaro ss 406 sbc 460hp full restification in progress

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

There are no vacuum leaks (it did die). Also I have 13" of mercury at 800rpm. As I adjusted the idle screws, a slight ticking noise coming from #2 cylinder got louder. I still can't figure out what it is. Might be valves. Would these to events correspond (carb adjustment)?
jeff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech

is the fast idle cam or choke not disengaging? i know it has a nice low idle when cold, but if the choke and/or fast idle isn't coming off, that will lead to a waaay fast idle when hot. my Nova did this a couple weeks ago when i drove it for the first time in a month. the humididty in the shop had caused some corrosion on the choke linkage, and it got sticky. had a 1200 idle when cold, which went up past 2300 when hot. scary. a little spray lube and wiggling it around a bit fixed it real nice.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'll check that today. Also though, here is what gets me, after the car has been driven, and I go to stop the rpms climb. Seems like more fuel is entering the system or something. I have manual drum brakes so I don't see how they would be related. During braking the rpm can rise 300-600rpm??? Could this still be a vacuum problem?
urrgggg...
thanks jeff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 09:45 PM

Vacuum leak / porous casting on the carb somewhere, allowing air to leak in when braking moves gasoline away from area where casting is bad??? I hear that some holleys are bad (quality control problems) for porosity. Also the fact that when it warms up the problem worsens seems to act like a vacuum leak/expansion problem on a seal or in the carb thats now hot.
Just grasping - hope this helps
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here is another guess about what I think might be happening...
I am running the old cylinder heads off my 327 (for now) and the are obviously iron. Now, my CR is 10:1 +/- 0.2
I have read on here that running iron heads will cause the octane requirement to go way up if CR is over 9.5:1. Could this be the problem? Like I said before, the fast idle only tends to occur after street driving and it gets real warm.
I plan on getting edelbrock heads but I don't have the $$$ yet so they'll have to wait.
thanks again,
jeff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 03:02 PM

Have you tried changing to a colder plug
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 02, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what brand and model plug would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode