Wise thing to do or not?! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

I've got a stock 305ci 2bbl, probably out of a 76-79 truck, in my '67.

As you all know, this doesn't make any power at all. In the future I want to change the engine with a home-built 383 with app. 450hp.

My question is, can I start adding parts for the 383 on my 305, so that I now have some extra power and when I finally have all the needed parts, I can build the 383.....

I was thinking of adding a Holley 4bbl and an air-gap style inlet, maybe some headers and some cams on my 305.
Every part must be suitable for the 383.....if I loose some power on the 305 due to these 383 parts, I could't care.... It's the future that counts.

Do I have to search for a specific engine year if I want to build the 383 (because the engine will get the parts from my 76-79 305)
I thought all these engines can use the same paarts if you look at the headers, inlet, carb, cams.

Thanks for any input.

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

I wouldn't put any of the 383 parts on the old motor, save them and start all fresh. You're just wasting money on gaskets and time you could be spending making the 383.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

About the only thing I would put on the 305 is the headers & exhaust. That way when you put the 383 in you can start it up quite.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
I would agree with plum. You could work on the fuel system, and ignition components if they're in need of upgrading as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 03, 02:03 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'm inclined to go with onovakind for the most part but Chad has a good point about exhaust... For a shadetree mechanic it would be good to fire up the new mill with a carb that has been run and isn't going to distract you from the rest of engine during initial fire up and cam break in. The problem with buying a carb for the 383 and using it on the 305 is it isn't going to be suited very well for a 305...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode