rocker arm question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

My car currently has comp cams roller rockers that say 1.52 on them.Just curious as to what the number means. Is that some degree of how radical the arm is, for example how does it compare to a 1.6 that I see in jegs ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 01:30 AM
Banned

That is the rocker are ratio. Take your cam lift and times it by 1.52 and thats what your lift should be.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
It is stating the distance/leverage ratio of the arm. This means the distance from the stem roller to the fulcum is a ratio of 1.52 compared to the 1.00 distance from the fulcum to the pushrod pocket. Most OE style stamped rocker arms usually measure out to be an actual ratio of 1.42:1.

A 1.6 rocker has a shorter distance from the fulcum to the pushrod pocket thus giving the the valve end a "longer" lever. The only fitment problems with some brands of 1.6 rockers is the arm doesn't have enough spring/retainer clearance under the arm, and/or, the pushrod hole in OE cylinder heads are not long enough, meaning the hole should be slotted more towards the arm stud, to give clearance for the pushrod to not bind against the head at max valve lift. Most aftermarket heads have the correct length of slot.

Both problems can be fixed. Read the rocker arm manufacturer's description to read if the arm does clear the spring and its retainer. Ask the manf for sure. The lengthening of the slot can be accomplished with a special tool a 5/16 inch drill bit, and a drill motor, can't think of the name for the moment, starts with an L, which has a locating tab fitting into the existing hole and a drill bushing to guide the drill bit while drilling the head.

Others here know of the tool name. I'm having a CRS moment.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Just to add to what Everret said, the way they increase the rocker ratio is by shortening the rocker between the fulcrum and the pushrod cup. This tips the pushrod towards the rocker stud slightly and that's why the pushrod hole needs to be elongated in some cases.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech

Others here know of the tool name. I'm having a CRS moment.

See if this will jog your memory..

Louie Louie, me gotta go.
A fine little girl, she wait for me.
Me catch the ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone.
I never think I'll make it home.
Louie Louie, me gotta go .
Three nights and days we sailed the sea.
Me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there.
I smell the rose in her hair.
Me see Jamaican moon above.
It won't be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.
Louie Louie, me gotta go."

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
Al

https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum.../9/12542.html?

Of course we all know "Louie, Louie" was covered by the Portland's very own "The Kingsmen" and recorded right here in the Rose City.....

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Aaahhh, let me think........its right on the tip of my tongue.....................ah, ........Alex,"What is a Louis Tool?"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 03:19 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Ding. Everett got it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode