big block repro valve covers with wiper clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

guys,

im looking for some nice chrome reproduction valve covers for my big block.

as you know, the left side must be slanted in the back so i can remove the cover without removing the wiper motor. i have a solid cam, so ill need easy access.

also, i DONT have power brakes so ill need them with the "corner" still there.

anyone find any like this??

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
William

You have been mis-informed.

Camaros did not use the LH cover with the flattened end. I believe that was mid-year Corvette with power brakes.

The reason for the interference with the wiper motor ('67) I suspect, is the engine is installed on small-block frame brackets. Mounted on the correct brackets & crossmember there is enough clearance with the factory covers.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

hmmm well, i have my number matching 396/325 engine in the car right now and the original valve covers have the slant in the back for wiper motor clearance.

they are also not cut on the corner because i dont have power brakes.

im 99% sure this is exactly how the car left the factory.

on my 468, id like to have the same look. ill use the big block mounts, but want that slanted back just like the originals.

thanks

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I have my numbers matching 396/325 hp sitting in the corner of my garage on a dolly, no slant on the valve cover. I know it's original because we've owned the car since new.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

must be a 67 manual disk brake thing then... cause i have non power disc brakes (no booster) which wouldnt require the corner chop... but its still a big block and would need the slant to clear the wiper.

maybe the corner chop for the power brakes would be enough to clear

but mine are the original covers and the left side has a slant to it.

ive heard of other cars like this, so im not the only one.

im not trying to debate originality, im just trying to find another set that look like mine for my new motor.

thanks
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 01:18 AM
Senior Tech

hey i have a 68 with power disk, bb with correct frame mounts and i have enough clearence to get the valve covers off and i have the chrome gm performance parts chevrolet embosed tall covers and they come off with ease, i do however have a 8 inch mini booster!! how do i put a pic in my reply??? i have a few pics of it
Jake
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

I have a 454 with tall covers (the chrome with embossed "chevrolet") and no clearance problems, correct big block mounts, manual brakes.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

JKS,

My car is a 69 ss/rs 396/325, 400th with the original engine, intake, exhaust, carb, ac, pb,ps, air cleaner and valve covers, etc... Leading authority says that the engine has never been out of the car. My drivers side valve cover is slanted in the back by the firewall. I'd have to look to see if there is a corner cut off as im not sure what to look for.

------------------
1969 SS/RS Convertible,Hugger/Black,396/325,TH400,ps,pb,pt,pw,ac,cc,amfm blue light,tilt,speed warning,console gauges,fiber optics,smog
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Look at ebay item 1850819449 for the valve covers that you are looking for, Buy now price $35.50

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

those ebay valve coversare for power brakes. the corner is chopped off to clear the power brake booster.

pony. you have power brakes huh? hmmmm i wonder what would determine whether or not one got the slanted covers...

anyone else with the slanted covers, id love to hear from you!!

thanks guys
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech

I have 68 Camaro BB 396/325 with power brakes. The back of the left side valve cover is slanted. I do not know what you mean by corner chopped. Is the corner chopped completely or is it an indentation at the rear upper left corner?

Eric
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
William

The covers pictured in the ebay ad are as advertised, Corvette covers. 1st gen bb Camaros did not use the LH cover with the flattened corner.

We (CRG) did a tech analysis on bb Camaro covers some time ago. There are subtle differences between years particularly with the LH cover.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I think we are discussing two different things with one description. My original BB valve covers on my 69 ss 396/325 DO have about a 60 degree slant on the driver's side cover in the rear. It is uniform across the whole valve cover.
The covers I thought we were questioning are the incorrect type with the the corner cut off as in the ebay item mentioned above. I hope this clears up something or maybe I'm just all hosed up.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

the 60 degree slant is the best way to describe what im looking for.

the "chopped corner" for the power brake booster clearance could be seen if you are hovering over your car looking down on top of the engine.

with power brakes, you would see a chopped corner off of the back outside corner of the left valve cover.

if you dont have power brakes, you wouldnt see a chopped corner.

the slant im talking about is visible from the side of the car. you wouldnt be able to see the slant if you hovered over the car.

the slant runs the full width of the rear of the left valve cover and is there to help clear the wiper motor.

sorry for the confusion.

if anyone knows where i can get a repop set of these covers, that would be great

thanks
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Boy, I'm really confused now! I thought there were only 2 types of valve covers. One set is just the plain low profile with uniform rounded top and the other set is just like the ones shown in the ebay picture. Does anyone have pictures of the different styles. I need to figure this out for my 68 BB with power disc brakes, correct frame mounts.

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode