Power steering high pressure hose install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I recently changed my 69 from a manual steering to a power steering car. I had an old power steering pump that I used for a core, this pump had a press on pulley so I matched it at the local auto parts. The pump fits fine but I need some kind of nipple for the high pressure side located at the pump. The new pump did not come with this fitting. Can anyone tell me what will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 04:59 AM
Tech Team

You could call around to some parts/repair places to find a place that makes hydraulic lines. They can make you a pressure hose but you'd have to bring in your pump and maybe the gearbox, too, so they could make sure the fittings worked. I had my pressure hose made this way; cost around $26.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 05:39 AM
Retired
Jim

I agree with Ratchet, I blew my high pressure hose and my NAPA store is an authorized dealer for high pressure hoses. In Minn. you cant make them without training and a special license since brakes and steering hoses are very dangerous if done wrong.
NAPA had all the special brass fittings and equipment to make your new hose for you.
Do a search in 'Trouble shooting' or 'Tech' section and you should find some posts with the exact sizes of the hoses and fittings.
The original 69 p.s. pump has a 90 degree fitting that exits the pump in back and immediately drops down with the fitting, the hose then runs adjacent to the motor mount and then up and around to the gear box with another 90 degree fitting into that. There are also a special clamp that bolts to the engine mount bolt to hold the p.s. hose there,another clamp that bolts to the gear box to hold both high and low pressure hoses, they are found in some resto catalogs.
Hope that helps
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[ 03-09-2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: click ]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm headed to the hose shop monday, thanks for the help. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 10:28 AM
David Pozzi

If the pump you bought is a rebuilt pump, they usually come without the pressure outlet fitting. You are supposed to swap over your old outlet fitting from your old pump.
You need to have the spring in there first, then a spool valve with the nut end forward, then the outlet fitting goes in with an O ring around it.

The outlet fitting has a straight male end. The hose you need will have a female flare nut and it will have a 90 deg bend downward to go around the bottom of the motor mount.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode