67 327 starter/flexplate: 153t vs 168t - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I have a 67 camaro 327/210 it is an original 3 or 4 speed but now has a turbo 350... no matter how i shim the started it sounds horrible, ive replaced both the flywheel and the starer but nothing chaneged. now i noticed that i have a cross bolt pattern starter on the car, which to my understanding is 68 and newer, and i counted the teeth on the flywheel-168. so i went out and bought another started, the correct started, with the straight bolt pattern. i believe this is for the 153 flywheel, so i wont even fit up to the block because it hits on the flywheel. ive been trying to research this and i cant find a straight answer but can anyone tell me which cars got which flywheels?, and would putting the 153 flywheel and starter solve my problem? any help is good help here.. thanks!
Ron Basick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
With 153 tooth flexplate, a straight line starter goes with it. A long mounting bolt and short mounting bolt.

With 168 tooth flexplate, a staggered starter goes with it. Both mounting bolts are long.

Sometimes you will get a starter where the mounting has been surfaced. One can shim the outer bolt only to move the pinion into the ring gear. Shim both bolts equally to move the starter away from the ring gear.

You can just buy the starter nose piece from the dealer, and use the new starter guts.

Don't forget to bolt up the end support strap to the starter. This helps supports the other end of the starter and prevents it from cracking when used.

Others may chime in here to add their suggestions.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

You may want to try this, support the front (side away from the flywheel, opposite the nose). Push up on it the whole time while you tighten the bolts, this does make a difference in most cases. Give it a shot it's free and I bet it will fix the problem. Of course you will have to go back to the starter that will bolt up (the one that sounds bad). The reason it sounded bad (I think) is because the starter gear was not parallel with the flywheel teeth (the above mentioned technique should cure that). Shimming may still be required.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 385ci
69 Camaro (soon to be 6" rod 355 backed by a T56)
2000 GMC Z71

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaroman7d/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech

Something that is equally important is to use GM starter bolts, the ones that have knurling near the bolt heads.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode