Oil consumption - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 04, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
I have som problems with my chevy engine! VERY high oil consumption!
I have checked everything and I am sure the oil comming from below thru my cylinders.
The cylinder bore is 4.310 and the pistons i use is wiseco with Total seal ring set!
Second ring is gape less!
I have measured the piston to wall clearence to .004 on all cylinders and wiseco recommend .005!
The top ring cyl 2 has very small cracks that I think is caused by oil in the combustion camber that will lower the octane ( excuse my bad english, I am from sweden he he)
The engine needs 1 litre extra oil in 150km driving.
Maybe i should try another rings set but I dont see wy the oil consumption is so high
Thank you for a nice forum by the way...
jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 04, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ouch, that's a lotta oil. Just a thought, but have you ruled out a leak on the under side of the intake, sucking oil into the cylinders? How do the plugs look, all 8 dirty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
All plugs are very dirty! I have already checked this ting. The top of the pistons are clean in the edges and dirty in the middle, this telling me that the oil comming from below.Dirty in the edges and clean in the middle means that oil comming from heads or intake manifold! The oil I am using is 20w-50 castrol I think!
How important is deglazing?
Br jimmy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Hate to tell you but I haven't got a SINGLE SET of those rings that didn't use oil, and smoke under WOT. And I've tried them in several motors with pro shops doing the cylinder wall prep to Total Seals exact specs. I quit trying, swapped to Speed Pro Plasma Moly's and haven't had a problem since (in probably 15 motors or so). The Plasma Moly's seat quick and don't use oil.

This topic has come up on several car boards I'm on, and I'd guess 90%+ of the guys who respond had the exact problems you and I did.
Jody

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
Today I noticed that the top ring in 3 cylinders of 4 was turned upside down.
I have studied little about speed pro rings and they seems good to me but there is a problem and it is the honing job has to be done for seating the new rings!
Is there any possibilities that I can do this by my self?
Is there any instructions in the internet?
Thanks jimmy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Jody, I know you have mentioned that before. I have still yet to have problems with any of my Total Seal rings. I used them in my current engine as well. Is there any chance you were using the light tension oil rings? Just curious.

Yes, the walls have to be de-glazed and prep'd properly if you just stuck the rings in worn cylinders this is more than likely why you had a problem. Also with some rings being upside down that doesn't help.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 09:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Royce,

If they were low tension (which is a thought I had) they were supplied in their sets. I didn't order a race set, just the street style rings.

Jody

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Jody, I have yet to come close to WOT so we'll see what happens. With my last set I ran them for 6 years no problems at all. I am actually going to put a set of bearings in that engine and a buddy of mine is going to run it. I will keep an eye out for white smoke at WOT and I will let you know. I think I am really testing them because of the 6" rods putting the pin into the oil ring groove. I have heard this will/can cause oil consumption, though I have done it before with no problems as well. Give me a few weeks and I will give you an honest answer good or bad. I am sure at this point you have your mind made up and my results won't change that. If I had the "bad" experiences you had I wouldn't change my mind either.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

No problem Royce. I'm interested in your opinion. I tried them on blown and N/A engines, but as I think about it they may have all been 6" rod motors too, with the support rails. But like you said, the Speed Pro rings had no problem either, so I believe it's either the oil ring they use(d) or a lot of engine builders think it has to do with the second ring being sealed off.

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode