Require 383 build info - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Hello folks, I just found this site this evening, spent 3 hours reading engine posts. Great info.

I am looking for information on building up a 383. I am a novice (virgin actually) at engine rebuilding. But not scared to turn a wrench as I'm in the midst of restoring my 81 monte. Just paint and motor to go. For the record I've owned 9 camaros, 6 of them being 79-81's. I will be getting another one from that generation in the near future (to match my Zedder plate hanging on the wall) but for now I'm all about the Monte.

Earlier today, I popped my oil pan off to find a 2 bolt main, which just sucks ***, I had thought it was 4. This engine has coolant in the oil, along with parts of lifters, so finding the 2 bolt was closure for me saying bye to the engine. I have a 4 bolt engine lined up for beans so no harm, no foul. This engine I'm going to rebuild is a 4 bolt, I'm told it has 79,000 kms on it (roughly 55,000 miles) and it came from a 81 Z. I haven't had chance to get the casting numbers off it. FYI casting numbers off the broke motor was 39700010 and heads 333882. I've seen the heads off the new rebuild candidate and they are 1.74's (the smaller one than 1.94's) so I will be using my old heads as they are bigger / better. Unless of course I can find 202's which I may have a line on.

So to my questions. Firstly and mainly. Rebuilding a 383 over a 350? Is it worth the extra cost? What is the extra cost? What machine work needs to be done over and above what needs to be done for a 350? What kits are best values / fits? Best suppliers (Summit)? I guess I know or think I know that all it comes down to is clearancing. Do good stroker kits eliminate this need?

As for parts, really all I know is that I want Pete Jackson noisy gears, a performer rpm dome, good value pistons, and I gotta make over 350 horses. So by that last sentence you get the jist of my inexperience in building engines.

So I guess I'll save some questions for the weeks to come but any info, comments, experiences, recommendations are very welcome. I do, believe it or not, have some knowledge, so don't dumb it done too much, just abit. I've been reading article after article but this site provides me with real folks, real experiences.

Oh, as for the application. 81 Monte, 350 turbo trans, 3.73 gears. This is for daily use, but want to be extremely fast daily.

Great site and thanks in advance!!

Looking for any good info on building a 383.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Just to clarify 2 points.

1. I'm on a budget, I'm looking at a 383 kit that doesn't kill the bank, but not a half *** one. I'll put out the cash to get the proper machine work done but will tackle anything I can do myself, including the port and polish.

2. In my above post, I mentioned extremely fast and now I've probably got you confused. On a budget but extremely fast? Well my current daily driver is a civic with 102 hp so it'll just seem extremely fast to me.

I can't seem to find much info on building 383's here, i'm sure it's here, just don't know how to find it. Also any good links on or off the site appreciated.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech

well leadz you should definately check out the performance section of this site!lots of guys there running the "super mouse".as for cost,i dont know what your budget is but here it's roughly $1000 more to build a 383 over a 350.i would advise using the best parts you can afford ,but using only what you need where you need it.the combination of the correct parts the first time out will save you a ton(approximately 1250 k.)of money! [img]tongue.gif[/img] as for the 383 vs.350 thing,i've always been told that "torque wins races"and "there's no substitute for cubic inches"(cm.).these things pretty much go hand in hand as a bigger engine will (given the same volumetric efficency)produce more torque.the effect of this cause is that bigger/more powerful engines use more petrol!if you are on a tight budget to begin with(as i am)you can very easily(and reliably!) build a 350-375 horsepower 350.
the parts are as cheap and as readily available as you can get from any any engine built here in the states,and maybe in the world!did i mention reliable?i'd wager a buck that it's the reason why most of us here got into the smallblock chevy in the first place.but if the competion is stiff there you could up the stakes with a nice 383and easily break the 400 hp/400lb ft barrier.
just keep reading and learning and remember that everything here(except the laws of physics)is opinion.(yeah we have free speech here in the us)
best of luck,and keep us posted!
welcome to the best darn car site i've ever found!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 03:09 AM
kip

i have run both engines, and the 383 may fit your 81 monte better, they are on the heavy side right? you can build it mild for daily use and still get alot out of it.

the only extra cost buildin my 381 over a 350 was gettin the 3.75" crank with 350 mains, a few hundred dollars(back in '94). i reused some 350 5.7 rods(rebuilt) and got some 383 pistons. the pistons are a bit more money over 350 pistons.
for me, the machine work was the same as my 350.
i had to clearance the pan rails in a few spots and also slightly clearance a few rods for the cam, i did not run a small base cam.
again i did this almost 10 years ago, so i'm not too sure who has the best value on cranks presently.
be sure to get the assembly balanced.
have fun buildin it, eh....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

First of all, there's nothing wrong with your 2 bolt block just because its a 2 bolt main. 4 bolts are nice but its well documented that a 2 bolt with main studs will handle 500 HP no sweat. Now lifters in the oil pan . . . there's a problem

Personally I would look into both building a stroker bottom end AND getting some new aftermarket heads. 400+ HP is easy with aftermarket heads in a 383 and still very driveable.

The things I would skip are: extra cash for a 4 bolt block, forged bottom end parts, fancy chrome or aluminum stuff.

The things I would invest in are: aftermarket heads (ProTopline iron with 200c runner 72cc chambers), good machine work, and a balanced reciprocating assembly.

Here's a low buck combo suggestion for you ---

redo your 2 bolt 350 block, just have it checked for cracks, bore it .030, new freeze plugs, cam bearings, and hot tank it. (skip align hone, and decking if you don't absolutely need it) $300-400

Eagle 383 rotating assembly with KB flat top pistons, 5.7" SIR rods, cast crank, flexplate, harmonic balancer, rings, bearings. $1100 (balanced)

ProTopline 72cc iron heads with 200cc runners. Use the new Felpro .018" thick rubberized steel shim head gasket. $850

Comp 280H cam and lifters. Comp 1.5 roller tip rockers. 1 piece moly pushrods. $160 cam kit, $100 rockers, $75 pushrods

Performer RPM intake and Holley 750 list O-3310 carb. $120 intake, $230 carb

1-3/4" Hedman headers and 2-1/2" exhaust. $300

. . . and allow a few extra $s for gaskets, oil, and other parts I didn't mention. This combo should beat the 400 HP pretty easily and still be mild enough for commuting. 10.0:1 compression ratio so it will work with pump premium.

Just my opinion

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech

I understand your thoughts about doing some of the work yourself but beware of getting too many cooks in the kitchen. I've had it happen to me and when something goes wrong nobody will accept any responsibility, but you're still writing the checks. Also, you will loose any guarantee. In my opinion, it's worth the extra dollar to have a reputable engine builder do the whole thing and guarantee the work. Saves a lot of finger pointing later.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking just to be able to say I got a 383 is worth a few extra dollars. Thanks for the break down Eric. Looks good.

Let me fire this question out. Where would I get this Eagle kit at? Is this the best low budget kit available? I first seen a kit on Summit for $1100. I then seen a Scat kit on Scoggin Dickey for I think $900. So basically, what's the best kit for me and where do I get it?

Just an update on the thought process. I'm actually buying a 285 hp gm goodwrench crate motor for the Monte. I'm getting an excellent price on it.

I'm also going to buy that 4 bolt block I had mentioned as buddy is giving me the engine (entire engine in parts) for $100. I'm going to get the machine work done. Buy a kit and build the bottom end.

I'll pick at it (get aftermarket heads) as I get money and eventually it will go into a 79 - 81 camaro. I'll just shop for a rolling chasis.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 10:39 PM

383s rock! The only real good advice I can give is dont go too cheap on the bottum end or you will pay for it later. I bought bargain crank and rods and had to spend quite a bit more to have them resized,reground, etc.. You certainly get what you pay for.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I bought my Eagle kit through my local machine shop for $900 about 2-1/2 years ago. The parts all worked real good for me except the KB pistons didn't hold up when my motor went lean (set the top ring gap to .030" and you won't have any problems in a mild NA motor). I started with a mild build and it kind of "evolved" into more of a race car.

Jegs has them for a pretty good price now, but you might see if your local supplier can come close to their prices. You might also check at www.dirttrackthunder.com , although I have not personally used them they have excellent prices and carry pretty much whatever you need. Scoggin Dickey has pretty good prices too from what I've seen.

Shoot me an email if you need help with specifics.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up for dirt track thunder, I bought my crank and pistons from them great service and price.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to blackvi
Leadzedder,

Pay Special Attention to Nitrous383 and Eric68. Theyve built em, broken em, rebuilt em, modified em, heaped extras on em, you name it! Those two I can tell you have earned there HP #'s and ET's. (As well have the others on this site)

You've come to a great place to find info on sbc motors, so dont compromise <sp> good tips and feedback on bigger is better theories!

Keep it simple and start off with a potent yet mild combo that will get you in the ball park. Then as your knowledge increases, so will your HP Gains!

Good Luck!

Jerry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode