Edelbrock Permastar Finish - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi All
Just wondering if anyone has bought anything
(intake or water pump) with Edelbrocks new "Permastar" finish. Just wondering how you liked it and how it's holding up?

Thanks!!

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech

ya i have been wanting to know about that too...it looks good in the mag!

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

everything looks good in the mag...

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Ain't that the truth lol

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I know - I'm just wondering how it holds up and what it looks like on an engine. It almost looks chrome to me. I'm just thinking it might be a little too flashy on an engine..I wonder if it just jumps out at you when you look under the hood.

I sure wish someone would make something to make cast aluminum intakes stay looking new...

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 03:35 PM

Just bought the Permastar waterpump and it's going on the new motor install that should be done Monday. Really nice looking piece. I'll get some pics up once the car's back from the shop next week.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bob
Does it look chrome or more of a polished aluminum? Do you have the intake as well??
I'd love to see the pics when you get them...

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Here is the new EPS manifold with the Permastar coating, I put it on a 75 Caprice convertible for a guy a few months ago, and it still looks great. It's very easy to keep clean, won't stain.

It looks like a nice, thick, brilliant silver powdercoat. You can see the contrast next to the chrome T-stat housing. I wouldn't call it chrome appearing though.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ZZ

Thanks for the pics!! That one doesn't look as shiny as the ones I've seen on the web. Check this one out...

Permastar Intake

The one in the link just looks alot shinier to me. Maybe it's just the pic that is deceiving.

I still like the look of cast aluminum intakes. I just wish there was some way of keeping them looking new!!!!

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Don

My guess would be creative photography.

The one I got was one of the first ones that Summit shipped, and I had to wait a few weeks because it was on "back order".

All I can say is that's the way the one that I got looked, and in my pic, it looks closer to polished.

[ 01-14-2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: ZZ430DropTop67RS ]

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech

looks awesome...i am pretty i am gettin that eps for my 350 too!

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech

hey where did those valve covers in that pic come from??

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 11:44 PM
Senior Tech

those valve covers look like they came from GM...

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dschribs:
Bob
Does it look chrome or more of a polished aluminum? Do you have the intake as well??
I'd love to see the pics when you get them...
It definitely looks closer to the pic in your link but clearly their pic is professional photography for marketing hype versus the natural light in Don's pic. I didn't get the intake yet as the builder included a polished dual-plane intake with the build. I'm sure down the road I will change the intake to Permastar as well. My guess is you won't see an installed pic as "clean" as their web page pic due to the differences in natural light, camera, etc. I can assure you it looks much better than any chrome or polished piece I've seen. Once I get the car back Monday I'll take some pics so you can see the difference in the water pump and the polished instake. Perhaps the contrast will provide some additional insight.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 04:38 AM

I've been to many car shows last season and noticed quite a few Permastar manifolds. To me, it seems like a no-maintaince chrome finish, perhaps a little on the nickle side. I believe if Edelbrock did a better job at polishing the aluminum surface prior to the Permastar application, the finished product would more closly resemble the promo photo.It's too bad they don't offer refinishing of previously purchased Edelbrock stuff, because I've got a bunch!-John Ziganto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode