350 rebuild advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I just picked up a 350 motor out of a wrecked vehicle. Motor has approx 80,000 on it. I am going to tear it down and send in the block and heads to be checked out. I am looking to rebuild it to be a nice streetable motor. Not looking for alot of HP. I would like to put a mild cam in to give it a little sound, but that is about it. If the motor is ok should I replace the pistons or just put in new rings? I am not trying to be cheap or anything, just trying to put together a motor I can dress up with a little chrome and look good. I need to buy a new carb and intake as well. Just looking for some ideas.
Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I should also mention that I pulled out a 400 sb.
Can I use the flywheel from the 400 on the 350 or is there a balancing issue to deal with. The 350 had an automatic and mine is a 4 speed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech

You'll need a 350 (or internal balance) flywheel. Or, build you a external balance 383 out of the 350 block, and keep the 400 flywheel. What are you tryng to accomplish, and what are the vehicle specs? Theres a million ways to build a 350...we just need more info to help you nail a combo down better.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Also, why not build the 400?

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

The 400 I pulled out needs a couple sleeves put in, new pistons, new balancer. The car is a SS 350, so trying to get it kinda original. I want something very streetable with a nice cam for sound mainly. I will get new headers as well. It is a 4 speed with 3:55 gears. I know there are a million ways to build it, just trying to get some basic stuff. Something I can travel a few hundred miles with and not stop every 50 miles for gas as well. Going more for the all show/kinda go car. I know I am being kinda vague, just trying to get a jump start on some ideas. It is getting way to nice outside and I need to get going. I am not going to replace the heads right now so just mainly a cam, carb, intake system.
Thanks for any help
Scott
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 04, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech

So your looking at freshening the short block and adding some bolt-on's? I guess first thing you need to determine is what is the casting numbers on the heads (located under the valve covers), and whether it has dished or flat top pistons. The biggest majority of stock post '70 350's came with dished pistons. This will affect the cam choice because most of these 350's only have an actual compression in the 8.0 to 8.5-1 range. What year is the engine and what is it out of?

Assuming you have an 8.5-1 motor, this will be a good starting point...an engine that is very driveable, gets decent economy, and sounds pretty nice. Comp cams HE268 cam and lifters, cheap Z-28 style springs, edelbrock performer (or similar) intake, 600 holley or edelbrock carb, cheap recurve kit in the stock distributor, 1 5/8" full length headers, and at least a 2 1/4" exhaust system with mufflers of your choice. If the engine is in good shape and doesn't need new pistons, this would be a good place to start.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 04, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the start. I just put the motor on the stand and will tear it apart tomorrow. I believe it is a 1985 motor. Will post the casting numbers and ask for some more help from there. I do have a nice set of 1.6 rockers from my 400. Will it do any good or harm to use those? Or should I stick with the basics.
Scott
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I tore down the engine and it is a 4 bolt main casting number 14010207, which mortec calls an 80-85 engine 2 or 4 bolt. The heads are 462624. The pistons are not flat top, but have round indents like valve cut outs in them. The cylinders all look good as well as the mains and crank.
Thanks for any help

Scott
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

What kind of budget are you planning for this thing? Right now, you have somewhere between 7.8 and 8.2-1 compression or so.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Not really budget minded. I can spend what I want to do it, but just want some mild performance. I can replace pistons or heads even if I need to.
Scott
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech

Take a look at my engine combo for my '78 truck in my sig. I think something like this would work great for you. It runs very well, and with your 4 speed, lighter car, and lower gears it would run REAL well. My truck, as is, gets a hair over 15 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph...you could expect more from a lighter, more aerodynamic vehicle even with lower gears. You could build a near identical setup using your existing pistons if the bores are in good shape and the pistons look ok. I actually patterned this engine after the goodwrench buildup in CHP magazine.
The 624 heads you have are a very thin, very crack prone casting. All the 624 heads I have seen have a very sharp short side radius in the exhaust ports, which hurts flow.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

So do the vortecs bolt right up to an 85 350? I know I need to get the intake anyways so this was a combo I was thinking. I checked quick on EBay and there was a new set, but said 96 and up. Thanks again
Scott
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech

Yep, they bolt right up. You have to watch the springs and retainer to guide clearance with aftermarket cams, but thats not a big deal nowadays.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

So if I get a set of Vortecs and performer manifold, which cam would be the best. I have seen a bunch of vortecs from 350-600 bucks. Anything I should watch for?

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode