please help me settle this with dad - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Im trying to find out the complete specs of my last 350 to settle a dispute with my dad over how much power it had. It had cast .030 flat tops with 4 valve reliefs, 5.7 rods. The heads are from a 327, casting 3911032. The heads have no port work done and have 70cc chambers 1.72 1.50 valves(I know). The cam is unknown at this point,but I took a piece of card board and a nice sharp pencil and traced a lobe and its IDENTICAL to my 292h magnum cam(which is 244 .501). Although the lobes match, the numbers on the mystery cam are not the same as the magnum 292, the unknown cam has C400P on the end, and EPI(whats that?) on the shaft itself. The lobe seperation may be different too but they look the same. Anyway, heres the rest of the combo.

compression around 9.5??
600cfm edelbrock
performer rpm intake
1 5/8 headers
2 1/2 exhaust

The engine was balanced and had an electric fan, I guessed it had 350 hp and 400ft/lbs. My dad sais 300hp, and we argued forever about it. We dont even talk about it anymore but Im still very curious. Could someone DD2000 my combo or give me an educated guess guess? Just assume it had the 292 magnum if you dont know what the cam I mentioned is everyone that heard the motor said it had to be a 292. Where can I find out what the cam was? Anyone know? Thanks guys, I cant wait to here your responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 03:11 PM

I would lean towards the 250-275 range, tops....sorry to say. I have flat top 350 with 76 cc 307 heads with 1.72/1.50 valves. (I didn't know, I swear!) I used a comp XE284. (has similar @.050 and similar lift as 292) 1/4 mile speeds tell me maybe 220 hp at the wheels. I have a 4 speed, so figure kind high 10% loss and wham! 244 hp! My advice: get better heads and/or a smaller cam.

chris
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
John

I have to agree with Bulb, if you are in fact running that big cam and some poor flowing heads, you are going to have a pretty low output motor.

Guesstimating the head flow (using flow numbers from a 441 head, but with smaller valves) and plugging in the 292 cam... the desktop dyno spits out.... about 295 horses @ 5500rpm and 350 ft. lbs. around 3750.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

First, here's what I inputed into the program:
180 Thermostat
Partially restriced intake heating
GOOD 1-5/8" headers, not the cheapies
Turbo mufflers

I got 300HP at 4500 and 355 LB-FT at 4000.

The cam is seriously mismatched.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Your only as good as what your heads will allow to pass bud. Your dad is right.

Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

I have a motor very close to what you have...only thing was the heads are off a 350 (diffrent casting #) my motor DD2000 with [email protected] 5000rpm and 394 ft/lbs
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 08:15 PM
Tech Team

I use a different dyno program than desktop, but mine gives basically the same result: The heads are killing any potential for upper rpm power.

------------------
Virtual Engine 2000
Download Free Engine Calculator
Virtual Engine Dyno Software
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
that thing has got to be way high on the torque.
using "stock" heads (not there stock, this is one i got from a stock type head) on DD2k, (flow 214 max on the intake, so they may be a bit high still).
Along with the 292H cam i got:
287HP at 5000rpms
322TQ at 4000rpms

That was really overkill on the cam (i'm sure you know this)
But anyways, check this out:
with a 270H i got:
286HP at 5000rpms (no loss basically)
358TQ at 2500rpms (basically flat TQ until 3500 where it drops from 357down)
interesting.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech

A very mismatched combo for sure, if the cam is anywhere close to a 292 magnum profile. The only thing I can think of on the cam is that it may be an old TRW grind...efficiency/performance group 1 (they had 1-3 as far as I know), however in my oldest trw catalog the part numbers start with TP (not C) and sometimes end with a N...although my catalogs dont show a TP400N either. If you have access to a dial indicator you can determine the actual intake and exhaust lobe lifts...that may help find what the actual cam specs are (if you really want to know, that is).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I guess all that torque thru me off. It made the car "feel" like it had more hp than it did to me. That motor was way over cammed, it ruined the springs because whoever put the cam in left the stock springs. Also sucked a few valves, probably from them slamming shut at high rpm. I could push the springs down with my thumb.

Hey rhamm1320, I love that program you use. I think I may buy that instead of DD2000. I downloaded that free virtual engine calculator from that website, its pretty neat. Thanks again guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode