ZZ 502 ?'s - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I have the opportunity to buy a new Crate ZZ 502 from a friend for about 3,000 and I am wondering what type of things will have to be changed if I drop it in my 1969 camaro. It is currently a small block car that has a turbo 350 trans and a wimpy 10 bolt rear. The car also has factory A/C. Some things that came to mind are coil springs, frame and motor mounts. Will the factory A/C suitcase fit and if not what are some of my options. What about radiator and fan issues? Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks,
DaveSS350.......hopefully soon to be DaveSS502!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 11:51 PM

Try using the search feature in the upper right of the screen. There are several issues that need to be addressed and all the information you will turn up through a search will most likely cover them all.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech

Hi Dave,

As we speak Iím making the same change over in my 69. This site has been a great help and the folks here are a wealth of knowledge. Here is a break down/list of the things I had to address, change and purchase.
∑ You will need big block frame and motor mounts.
∑ I have Hooker super comb headers 2Ē primaries. You will need to grind the lower flange on the headers to clear the head bolts.
∑ If itís a 4spd you will need a big block z-bar set up
∑ The trans cross member will have to be redrilled to accommodate the new angle of the big block.
∑ The block will have to be taped for the z-bar pivot ball.
∑ I went with an MSD distributor. Some of the folks on the site told me the GM HEI distributor may hit the firewall.
∑ I used a long water pump. To keep the alternator on the passenger side of the vehicle. This required aftermarket pulleys for a long water pump and crank pulley. I used single groove pulleys.
∑ I removed my A/C unit and installed an aftermarket heater for a clean firewall appearance.
∑ I have a 4-core aluminum radiator with dual electric fans.
∑ Sub frame connectors
∑ Front coil springs (Iím still up in the air on that one yet)
∑ Oil pan needed to be changed to accommodate the 69 Camaro chassis.
∑ Electric fuel pump is needed since the engine is not embossed with a mechanical fuel pump option.
∑ Sump on a new fuel tank. The 3/8 line on the sending unit was a bit restrictive for my application.
. New fly wheel for a one-piece rear main seal.
∑ Blow out proof bellhousing. Clutch pressure plate and bearing.

I hope this helps. I may have missed a few things good luck with your 502 and check out some of the past threads on this subject.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 12:11 PM

only thing your have to change is the mounts,springs ,my hei worked on my 509,might have to drill new holes for your cross member,not sure about the 350,i got the 400,i'm using a short water pump with the alt mounted on the drivers side.not sure about the ac since i don't have it.headers might be a problem with the steering box.i went with a flaming river box and have 2 1/4 hooker super comp.changed mine over last year.good luck.you should think about changing your rear. the bb has a lot of torque for your 10 bolt.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Art

Send a message via Skype™ to Guido67SS
Check out pics of my 502 in my 67...

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/guido67ss

Let me know if you have any probelms hooking up after you get the motor installed. I can help.

Guido
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
Art

Send a message via Skype™ to Guido67SS
Dave,
A word of advise. If you are going to go through the trouble of putting on another oil pan, do it right. Put a moroso or a hamburger pan on it and change the factory oil pump at the same time. Protect your investment. I lost my 502 to a seized oil pump. I had put the smaller oil pan on my car to fit the chassis. After the rebuild I went with the moroso pan and a new pump. Do a search on 502's to see why these engines fail. Alot of used 502 parts on ebay. I got some used 502 rods and pistons. Only 2 rods are bad. lol

Good luck.

Guido

P.S. Your gonna need frame connectors. Weld em in. You'll be fine with 10 bolt as long as you stick to street tires. If you go to a sticky DOT tire you'll need more.

67 Camaro Built with Cubic Money
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 06:06 PM

∑ I went with an MSD distributor. Some of the folks on the site told me the GM HEI distributor may hit the firewall.

The stock HEI will work fine. You will have about 1" to play with from the firewall.

.Oil pan needed to be changed to accommodate the 69 Camaro chassis.

The stock oil pan works fine as long as you use bib block frame mounts.

Due your self a favor.......Buy interlocking motor mounts.
The rubber mounts broke the 1st week.

Always check your oil!

The 502 in the 69 let go last fall. The #6 wrist pin froze. BANG! No damange to the block. We were lucky on that one.

I'm not sure, but it might have been the 32 runs at the track a few days before that caused this problem. We did check the oil, but it seems that it wasn't often enough.

Simple solution to this problem.......We sent the block and heads to the engine builder, and it will be returned as a 522 stroker.

Enjoy your new motor. Your going to have a blast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode