Why are my Lifters getting smaller? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hi,
I rebuilt my sbc 327 engine and added a new cam and lifters. After break in I double checked the valve lash before taking it out on the road. Everything seemed fine. After a few weeks I noticed a slight upfire and noise coming from the valve covers. I adjusted 3 rockers that were loose. A few days later I had to do it again, But this time the #8 cylinder exhaust rocker wasn't moving. I originally thought the rocker arm nut was loosening up by itself but when I removed the lifter it was no longer flat but rounded on the cam side. The cam ate over 1/4" from the lifter. I've checked other topics on this subject and think maybe there is a lubrication problem. When I built the motor I installed screens on the two ends of the lifter valley as well as plugged the (4) 3/8" drain holes in the middle of the valley. Are these holes critical to cam lubrication or does the cam use splash from the crank to get its oil?

Thanks,
John

1967 Camaro w/327 Chevy
23 deg Trick Flow
Performer Rpm
Holley 750 DP
(XE262H-10) Cam Grind- Comp Cams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cams/lifters do get "splashed lubed." Not only from the crankshaft, but, also what runs off from the cam bearings and what drains from above, sometimes.

I had seen this problem once before on a friend's car. IMO, it appeared the lifters were of "soft" material. They were not treated to the same hardening treatment the camshaft was subjected too. Thus, the cam wore a hole into the lifter.

Check to see the cam lobe(s) is(are) not damaged by this action. If they are not damged, you might get away with replacing the lifters with better quality, GM IMO, and be on the road again.

If camshaft is damaged, then a replacement of all is warrantied.

I would think you would have a hard time getting a replacement from the camshaft manufacturer, even if you bought it as a cam kit.

Also, another characteristic of this problem is too much spring pressure. Goes along with the "deluxe" cam kit, cam, lifters, springs, retainers, and pushrods.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 02:22 AM
Senior Tech
John

If #8 valve still didn't move after tightening, the cam lobe is rounded and the cam is ruined. You're going to have to replace the cam and lifters. Drain the oil, and flush the engine out as best as you can. Take the plugs out of the lifter valley, there's no reason to have the holes plugged. All that does is keep the oil at the top of the engine where it is not needed. You want the oil to drain back to the pan so it can be recirculated.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech

I had this problem with a mild Brand Name cam. The #8 intake and exhaust lobes ground round and ruined two lifters. Same as you, I thought the nut was backing off. Stuck a similar grind Lunati in and haven't looked back since. By the way, no warranty because the sales rep said he didn't know how it was broke in. I told him I thought you only had to do seven and hung up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 05:05 PM
Banned

We use the hydraulic lifters from GM for years with zero problems. There is a lot of junk lifters still floating around out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode