Price on rebuilding muncie m-20?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am sure this has been asked before but I could not find an answer thru searching. What would an approximate price be to rebuild a muncie m-20 assuming it does not need the main shafts replaced. Also, how much would I save removing the trans myself and taking it to the shop. I have had the trans out a couple of time so i am used to removing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech

I got a price from a local shop last year of $900.00. All but one of the gears in my M-20 was shot. To steep for me at the time so I ended up buying a saginaw 4 speed out of the paper just so I could get the car running.

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Last time I bought a small parts kit for a Muncie the cost was about 75.00. That is all the needle bearings, gakets etc. I would think if you brought them the trans and it didn't need any expensive parts, 3-5 hundred at the most. They are not very hard to do.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I just had mine rebuilt. It needed cluster gear (182.75) and input gear (129.50). The rebuild kit was 122.45 and he charged 245 labor. I brought him the trans and picked it up.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Sigh. When the input shaft broke on my M20, I pulled the tranny and took it to a recommended shop. The synchros and remaining gears were chipped pretty bad. I decided to go with Autogear parts and stay away from the other import gearsets. A complete rebuild is $1600 approx. Of course, at that point I threw in the Supercase for another $245 and had an M22 built. Anyway, pay attention to the replacement part quality.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, I dont think there is much wrong with the trans. Second gear whines and I am starting to hear what sounds to be bearing noise but I have no idea. The noise only happens under load. When you let off the gas and still in second the noise goes away. I see Classic Industries sell rebuilt M-20's for about $1,200. I guess I will take it to the shop and see what they say. Thanks again. Erik
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 01:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I have a rebuilt M22 for 1500.00.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 02:44 PM
Tech Team

When I was doing my rebuild last winter I wanted to upgrade from my crapinaw (saginaw) 3sp to an m20. I called people all over the us but it turned out that Ebay was the answer. I found a guy that rebuilt them in his garage and I bought it from him (after checking it out when I went to pick it up) for $500. 1st and 2nd were new gears and all the sycros bearings and seals were replaced.
The tranny is running strong.
jeff
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Clill, do all m-22 have the fine spline shafts?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:03 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Erik,
Consider doing it yourself. They are not hard to do if you have access to a press. The most difficult part is sliding the shafts together without any of the 120 roller bearings falling out, and there is a very easy solution to that as well. You'll need synchros for sure can't remember what I paid for the last set, I think around $15 a piece, sounds like maybe the forward input bearing $60, probably at leat on hub and the keys. The rest depends on the condition of the gears and what you are willing to live with (reverse gears are always tore up to different levels). If you want to tackle it I have some info I can send you. I also may have a 1967 M20 (larger counter shaft variety) for sale soon, fresh synchros, seals, hub, bead blasted case, ect. Think about doing it yourself, it's fun and not as difficult as you'd think.

Here are some prices I found on some reciepts I had for a few of the small parts.
Slider hub $46.00
Keys (dogs) $2.12 each 6 required
Brass synchro rings $10.95 each 4 required
Forward ball bearing $60.00
Dave

[This message has been edited by SY1 (edited 08-01-2002).]
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:34 PM

Damn.... for those types of prices, I would spend alittle more and get a Tremec !!!!!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 03:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I believe the muncies in that era for chevy all had 10 spline input shafts, some Pontiacs had fine spline. As long as I was having a new tranny built and buying a new flywheel/clutch setup, I had the fine spline shaft installed and bought the appropriate disc.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 06:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I keep seeing y'all recommend guys like us rebuild our own Muncie. I have done a 3 speed in my day and you're right it's not that difficult a job but my fear is that when I'm in there I won't recognize something that needs to be replaced or fixed. That's where the experience comes into play.
I had mine reubilt only because it wined and I figured I'd do it while I was swapping engines anyway. The pro showed me a bad cluster and input shaft that were causing it and I couldn't see what was wrong with them but he was right. It's smooth and quiet as can be now.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I think 69 and 70 were coarse spline and then I think in 71 ? they all went to fine spline. Mine is a coarse spline.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech

Build it your self and save the cash., they are simpler than building an engine and you only need the assitance of a press, a vice, a thin wrench for the front retaining nut and some snap ring pliers.

Here is a great muncie link. Has all the info to ID your trany, they have a rebuild video and all the parts you need.
http://www.gearzone.net/muncie.htm

I rebuilt my m-20 with a super case, new gears and an iron mid plate. The cost of all the parts was about $900 but if you use all your hard parts it will be HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode