Tranny Fluid Change w/o the Mess - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Can it be done?

My TH400 has no drain plug, but there will be when I change the fluid. Every time I change the tranny fluid, I get about half of the fluid on the garage floor. I usually use one of those disposable aluminum turkey pans you get at the grociery store, but doesn't solve the mess problem.

Any ideas you guys know of that I don't?

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 02:56 PM
Bill

Camaro, (name ???)
Most "real" auto parts stores, those that cater to repair shops, should be able to get you what you need. There is a big "funnel" (for lack of a better term) that sits under the trans and drains all the fluid into a regular drain pan. It is about 3 ft in diameter. It is meant to be used with an oil drain can with the car up on a lift, but I think it would work laying on the garage floor also.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech

The last one I did, I used one of those drill-mounted pumps. I think I paid $9 for the pump. I stuck in in the dipstick tube and sucked it dry. They I removed the pan and had a lot less mess to deal with. The pump was also useful when I overfilled my truck tranny. I layed the suction line next to the dipstick and made a mark. I then inserted the suction tube into the dipstick tube up to the mark. As soon as I started sucking air, I was right on the mark. Only thing is, those pumps don't like heat so do it warm or cool.

-dnult

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 03:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The other day, at this TV show called , Two Guys Garage, they used a neat system to change the transmission fluid on a Toyota Camry. It's connected to the two lines that go to the radiator cooler, one pumps and the other returns fluid to the trans. It's benefit is that this system replaces the converter fluid as well as the trans pan oil. There has to be a trans shop that has that kind of system overthere, where you live. Lucky you, cause those systems haven't arrived here tho.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

ORENCH, i saw that one too!!! i was just about to chime in with that answer but you beat me to it! it looked like a pretty expensive piece of equipment, but all you had to do was sit around and wait. it sucked it dry, even the torque convertor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ORENCH:
It's connected to the two lines that go to the radiator cooler, one pumps and the other returns fluid to the trans. It's benefit is that this system replaces the converter fluid as well as the trans pan oil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just beware that it doesn't change the filter for you. Also, you won't get a chance to inspect the pan for debri. It's a great thing for quick lube shops, but I still prefer the old method. I'm more concerned about inspecting the condition of the transmission than doing a quick, neat job. To change the converter fluid, I drill the converter shell with a small bit (and a depth stop) between the impeller dimples. Then I weld the hole shut when complete.

-dnult

[This message has been edited by dnult (edited 11-17-2002).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech

i always take out all but 3 of the bolts- say two at the front and one at the back. i then loosen them up about 1/4 inch, then pry one corner down. this will allow the oil to drain from one corner- no mess at all if there is a drain pan underneath it. after it stops draining, you can take out the bolt on the low end and slowly loosen the other two, allowing more of it to drain. after it stops, just hold the pan up and take the remaining bolts out and as you bring the pan down, tip it towards the corner until it's empty. keep a large drain pan under the tranny while the pan is off, as it will drip forever.
no fuss, no muss, no mess. but they should have still spent the extra $2 at the factory to install a plug in every pan.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode