Engine builder in VA - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kyle

Anyone heard or dealt with this company in Richmond VA (actually in sumerduck i believe outside the drag strip)

http://www.maxhorsepower.com/
????
looking for info bad or good before I bother to go down there and talk with them about building me a new motor.
Apparently they have a company on ebay as well that goes by the name A-R Racing the people on ebay seem to think they have been dealt with fairly.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
John

Hey GreyShadows,

I seem to recall conversing with you via email about the engine I bought from this shop... but my brain doesn't always work right... [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] My personal experience with AR Racing has been good... got the engine with the parts I wanted for a good price and the build time was quick.

Do a search for username "Balboni." He is the only other person who frequents (or used to) this forum that I know of who bought an engine from AR.

John

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 11:59 AM

Yes,
I purchased a 450/383 from them on Dec 31, 2003.
Motor looked nice until we took off the heads. The quality of the work was questionable at best. The heads were not ported, as advertised. The cylider walls had several pits and one was very deep and large. The walls themselves were of poor quality. The block deck was not correct and irregular with several large chips and deficits around the top of several clyinder walls. The pistons did not top out at the same heights. The block appeared to be minimally acceptable. I paid for the engine within the acceptable time frame of 5 days. It was never installed because I sent the motor back for a refund in Feb. I still have not received the full refund as promised despite certified letters and phone calls. Bottom line BUYER BEWARE! Engine looked nice but quality is what you pay for. I would find someone local.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 12:14 PM

Grey Shadows
For more info go to search in engines and look for "cheap 383 strokers" I think this will save you some time and give you some ideas.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kyle

You are most definately right Boodlefoot we did talk about this and i did do the search .. i was just looking for some more input ..stir the pot if you will.. they looked too good to be true but i read that balboni posting and was scared so i figured i would see if it was an one time thing or if there had beed more problems.. looks like there is at least one more issue now .. ok I'm more scared i think i will look elsewhere. I need it done right .. I should just do it myself .. Damn anyone have a two car garage i can steal for a month or two LOL.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 02:36 PM

Mr. Grey.
Good thinking. I stayed local and am very pleased. I could follow the process and learn a great deal about the motor in my 69 SS convert.
With your setup: 69 Z, 4SP, 4 disc, 4:11 (sweet!) the time and $ invested, get it done right! I did and am very satisfied.
dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kyle

Ok lets try this one .. in Maryland there is a place called Speed Unlimited they also have a web site (same as the name) any experiences with this one they are only 20 minutes away from me. Nice and Local!

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

How about checking out BillK right here on this site.
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
He certainly seems to know his business and that is much more important than price in the long run.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 04, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kyle

I will do that. Thank you! Any more suggestions out there. Shopping around is fun lol.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode