HEI dist question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully in a couple of months I will be putting my engine back in.I bought a mallory HEI to replace the points dist.I have seen several HEI dist in 69 but they are very close to the firewall. Will they fit without modification or do I need to make some room while the motor is out?If what is the best way to make room besides a hammer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 05:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

it's a cr*pshoot, some do some don't. I've only tried once, it didn't without some altering. I've read where people have loosened the subframe and shoved it forward to make em fit. One things for sure, don't have the cap on when you put the motor in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech

this is a small block, correct?
if you have mounts for a 350- then, no, it might not fit. some do, some don't- but all are close.
if you have mounts for a 327 or 307- then, yes, it should fit with about 1/2" or so to spare.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, maybe, but my old '67 was a 327 car, and it didn't.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 09:25 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Although a 68, mine came was born with a 6cyl. and when I bought it it had a very tired V8 SB. I replaced it with a 406 sb and installed HEI without any problems (1/4 - 3/8"gap). I have no idea if the motor mounts were stock or not, but were bolted and welded (looked factory) and see no reason why they were welded for a 6...replaced subframe at some point in her life? maybe.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input,It will be a while before I'm to that stage,still have some more parts to buy.Sure would be alot easier to finish if I didnt spend my money on stuff I could do without.

GROCERIES
MORTAGE
BILLS
WIFES TRUCK PAYMENT
3 OUT OF 4 KIDS WITH THEIR HAND OUT
LOL Just kidding would'nt take anything for where I'm at in life WELL? MAYBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode