Team Camaro Tech banner

Engine temp DROPS dramatically (that's good!!)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sr71bb 
#1 ·
Thought I would pass this along. Since I am running a SEPARATE cooler for the my 700R tranny INSTEAD of running the coolant lines directly into the radiator (as in stock situation), my engine temp has DECREASED about 15-20 degrees.

As matter of fact, I may be running a little too cool for good fuel atomization (if it ain't one thing it's another!!!). But that's easily correctable.

#2 ·
Are you running from the tranny cooler into your radiator and then back to the tranny or just from the cooler to the tranny? I am replacing my 396 with a built 454 and a 3000 stall and am wondering what to do about cooling also.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

#5 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but the tranny lines go through the radiator for a reason. That reason is to help warm up the trans fluid when it is cold out. I really don't think you are doing any damage by running it through the cooler only. Do you have a trans. temp gauge? I do and have never really seen my trans get hot (turbo 350). I run my lines through the radiator and then the aux. cooler. I have ran as high as a 3800 stall (on the street) with this setup and still never got the tranny hot (gas mileage sucked).

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 383ci
69 Camaro 385ci
2000 GMC Z71
Link to my 70

http://profiles.yahoo.com/camaroman7d

#6 ·
You want to run the transmission fluid thru an aux cooler befroe it goes thru the radiator. That way the majority of the heat is removed before it goes into the radiator. If the fluid gets too cool then the radiator can add heat back into the system. If you run it thru the radiator first you are not removing any of the heat input to the radiator and then you are cooling the fluid after it leaves the radiator. This doesn't help the cooling problems in the radiator, and it actually cools the transmission fluid more than you want.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

#7 ·
Mark, you are absolutely correct, I stated it wrong in my above post. I actually did it the correct way cooler first and then through the radiator. Thanks for correcting me, I even went out and double checked my install to confirm it.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 383ci
69 Camaro 385ci
2000 GMC Z71
Link to my 70

http://profiles.yahoo.com/camaroman7d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.