Question about PCV valve. Now where does it go? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Well,

I recently swapped the intake manifold on my 67 350 to a Performer RPM. The old manifold had the oil filler tube in the front of the manifold with the PCV valve hose connecting it to the carburetor. My new manifold does not have the oil fill tube/PCV set up so where do I hook it up to now?

P.S., Sorry if this seems elementary but I am new to this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
What carb, motor and where is the other end of the PCV hose located.

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

CfunK,

Sorry,

The carb is a Holley 4160. The engine is a 350. And the PCV hose ran from the oil filler tube in the front of the intake manifold to the base plate on the carb. I would post a picture but dont have a site to host it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech

You will need a set of valve covers with oil fill/pvc provisions. A set of later model valve covers, and most aftermarket valve covers, will work for you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Thanks Travis
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

The Performer RPM manifold should have a knock-out on it to use your old oil fill tube, if you want.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

racer x;

Your car may have the Califormia Emmisions 'Closed Crankcase System' from GM on it.

This post will explain how (and the size) to drill a hole in the front of the RPM for the old oil tube/PCV valve;
https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...=010474#000000

This post will discrbe the 'Closed System' and how it was installed;
https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...=003417#000006

Hope this helps, post back with questions if necessary.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Vintage 68,

Those two posts were very informative. Thank you. Now to decide if I should take the manifold to the machine shop...

Thanks,

Joe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 08:56 PM

Racer, I'm sure you're not going to use the original valve covers, so just install the PCV on the new valve cover and route it to carb. Don't route it to an intake port unless you can equalize the vacuum from both sets of intake runners. Then just put a breather on the other valve cover.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 06:56 AM

Cool

Guys,

I've been looking for a simple PCV setup solution for my 67 as well. Sounds like Panther may have given me the answer. I have a 327/2BBL w/AIR SMOG system.

Want to put an Edelbrock Performer W/4BBL setup in it. Not going to put A.I.R/SMOG back on it once it's done. All that junk will go in a box.

I know one side will just have have a breather cap and also be used for a "new" oil pour location. The other side will have the PCV valve. Will that attach to the bottom of the Air cleaner? Sorry, learning as I go here..

I plan on putting on an open element air cleaner. I've seen some have the PCV hole built into the base. Is this correct? Any other words of wisdom in ref to going from closed to open PCV???

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Jim
67,327/210HP,PG,AC,G-Gold.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 07:48 AM

No, the pcv hose must attach to a manafold vacuum source. Preferably one consistant to both branches of the intake manafold. Otherwise 4 cylinders will be running richer than the others (although not critical). I'm sure Holley carbs have a port designed for this already. If your open element air cleaner has a port between the filer and the carb opening, you can run a hose from there to the opposite valve cover and use a closed oil fill cap or retain the long orig. style filler tube used on 67 and 68's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode