T5? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

hi all.
it's been a while, and i can't seem to find it in the archives.... wondering if anyone know the difference in the t5 transes. like i have been surfing on e-bay and saw a t-5 from an 82 datsun.... now this looks like the t5 i scored from my neighbor when he parted out his car.... he had it behind a 375HP 355ci. i want to put it behind a mild(350-400HP) 283 or 327 for kicks in my 63 nova..... give those imports a run for their $..... planning to run 3.42 gears in a 8.5(shortened a couple inches.

anyway i am getting off track. keep seeing t5's from mustangs and camaros, and they all look a like..... is there just a difference in bell housings? i have heard that there is an angle thing that uses different bells, but not sure.....
any help would be appreciated..

thanks, JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 10:47 AM

I just recently read and article about the borg warner t-5. It seems that there many different version that went into the mustang so I will take that to mean the same goes for chevy. They also seem not to be handle a great deal of power, you might want to keep that in mind.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

do you know what magazine had the article? id like to get more info on them.... as for strength, i am guessing that it shoud handle at least 300hp, but then again it will set me up for a drop in if i go with a t56.

thanks , js

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The older T-5 was a weaker version that used brass blocker rings and small bearings. The world class T-5 was a better transmission, but still not great. These have larger bearings and 3 piece blocker rings, along with a vew other improvements. There are many different shaft lengths, input shaft splines, bolt patterns, shifter locations, gear ratios and other differences, but they are all basicly the same design. The '95 Mustang came with a new version of the 5 speed, a T-45, or something like that. It will not work in the earlier Mustangs because of a different bell housing and input shaft length.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Hmm.... now you got me thinking... now can i get it rebuilt to use the world class stuff? it would make it a bit stronger right? i had a friend offer me his 11:1 comp 355CI SB that cranks out roughly 400HP for about $400. tempting.... i think i am going to grab it, but not sure if the t5 will handle it. too many decisions again..... but i wold like it manual...
thanks, JS
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

You can't build the standard T-5 into a world class. The case is different and the main shaft is different. You need to find a wc T-5 to start with. If you want a stronger 5 speed then check out the Tremec at www.fortesparts.com

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 11-15-2002).]
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.... bummer.... i guess it is the case that is the weakest link.. good bye...

hmm...i am thinking that the clutch setup should be the same between the t5 and the t56. if i do wind up doing it, then it should helps me with the setup of the fork and master/slave....but then again my 63 nova only weighs in at 2700#'s. hmm... guess i must try it....then again if i blow it there should be some in the junkyards that i can get pretty cheap to get back on the road. lol....

thanks agian, JS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey gearhead,

hmm you really got me thinking...

can that Tremec bolt up to a chevy bell?

as far as clutch master/slave, can i use the stuff from the BW T-5? are they close in size/shape/ dimesnions?

you said that there are different input shafts and what not. is there a strength difference? should i be looking for a trans from a 93 cobra? that would probably be the best bet right?

hmmmm.... kick started now...... thanks, JS
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Forte's modifies the Tremec to fit Chevy cars. There is some installation information on their sight. They have pictures of a installation in a '69 Camaro. E-mail or call them for more information.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

thanks, sounds great, JS
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

This is the deal with the T5 (in my opinion). They can take a lot of abuse behind a hot small block until you start powershifting or using sticky tires. I ran one in an 84 Camaro (before the world class T5) behind a 350-400 HP 355 engine.

I ran radials on the car and the biggest I ever used were 255-50R15's. The tranny was still running good when I sold the car with 130,000 miles on it in 1994.

During the time I owned the car I broke a pressure plate (Hays heavy duty unit) and broke a couple teeth off the 7.5" ring gear. Other than that, no tranny trouble - but I NEVER power shifted, and I NEVER ran slicks.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Hey Eric,

thanks for the reply, a note on the positive side . probalby in my nova i will not run anything bigger than the 205/50/15's on there now. give's me some hope that i can do it...

thanks again, JS
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 03:56 PM

T5 speed been there done that

I put a T5 in my 85 monte -carlo SS,s went to schol on the T5speed ,they are many dif ones thats true ,and it hard to tell one from the other ,I mite not have the #'s right but i'm only off a few teeth 17tooth spine,is out of like a V6 S10 ect. 24 tooth main spline, comes out of a V8 camaro's, fire birds ,mustang ect. The world class came in Iroc's SVO mustangs ect. you can tell the world class by,(this is hard to write) but they is a round race I think it is ,just under the main shaft(part that goes in the motor)its flush with the houseing,about 2'' in diam. (looks like a frezz plug) if it's smooth (like a frezz plug) it's not a world class. the world class has a lip on it ( kinda like a the bottom of a plate)heheh man this is hard for a bonehead like me to typ.Any ways it's a small lip only 1/8'',on the outer edge of the frzzplug thingy....and this too, if you get on the is 17 tooth spline the bigest cluch 9''...hope this helps ,look over my speeling

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply,
no problem with the spelling... we all get excited every now and then....
hmm. so there is a difference even with the v6, and v8...... gotta go check now.... the v8 how big can the clutch go? i'd like to have a clutch that don't slip when i nail it.... my prelude sucked climbing hills when the clutch was wasted... changed it and only for a little better. couldn't hold in top gear when i stabbed it..... could hear the slipping.... don't want that with my nova....

thanks, JS
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 04:34 PM

Excited ? I wish hell I'm just a bonehead ,spent all my time in high school under the hood of acar ,when i should have been in a book ,,hehe O well ya if you get the fine spline (think)24 tooth maybe 32 tooth ,10'' cluch ....the other 17 tooth is 9'',they are only two dif .,spines ..on the T5.....I was sold a T5 out of a iroc ,come to find out it was the 17 tooth thing V6 mostliky...got ripped off ,,only gave 200 for it,but that was 200 i could have used ,& I went to a car show /swap meet,and a guy had a T5 there said it was a world class ,NOT no ring around the frezz plug thing SO know your T5 befor you buy :> )
The thing i was told about the T5 was not to put it 5th gear at low speeds..the 5th gear is real small and week...My T5 seems be holding up in the monte and I doged the crap out of it (tried to brake it) but its still there ...Now the monte only has about 250 or HP ,but I droped the cluch time and time agin ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode