327 vs 350 rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

I am rebuilding a 327 mild street engine; 461 heads, Q jet, XE 256 H or -151 cam, Performer intake. This is a 68 large journal block. Northernauto Supply has 350 rebuild kits on sale for $159. Is there a difference between the 350 and the 327 rebuild components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:30 AM
Senior Tech

No. They both are the same 4.00" stock bore, same rings, and the bearings are all the same, large journal style. Only difference is in the crankshaft stroke, and pistons.

Oldani Motorsports

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

Would the pistons from the 350 kit work in the 327? What would be the consequences?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:53 AM
kip

compression height of the pistons are different to accomodate for the different stroke. 350 pistons with a 327 crank would put your pistons about .115 in the hole i believe, not good.
i would get the 327 rebuild kit. i ran a 327 with that 151 cam, very fun to drive...
good luck
kip
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

I was guessing the kit did not have pistons for that price? Thus, if you are using the same pistons over, no trouble. Otherwise as indicated above, there is a difference in compression heights of the pistons. You would instantly have the lowest compression motor on the block if you put the 350 pistons in a 327! If it is just a killer deal on rings, bearings, timing set, and gaskets, etc. then use the 350 stuff, it is fine for that.

Oldani Motorsports

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

You need to make sure what year 327 you have. All 327's had a 4.00" bore but they were produced in large journal and small journal configurations. If you have a large journal 327 then you will be OK. The main and rod bearings will be the same as a 350. If you have a small journal 327 then no go. I can't remember for sure but I think small journal 327's were produced in 1967 and earlier.

Tom
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 08:45 AM

Smile

Ditto, '67 and earlier engines... pdq67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

Thanks for the replys. I will go with the 327 kit. I currently have a 2.54 rear gear behind a 350 turbo. What is the highest gear ratio you would reccomend to use behind this set up. The current rear is a 10 bolt 7.5 in from a 6cyl nova the best I can tell. I have access to a 2.73 10 bolt from a 68.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

327's are not high torque motors so they need a higher numeric ratio to help keep them from being a dog at lower rpm's. I have a 327 in my '80 Z right now. I am running a ST-10 4speed with a 2.64 first gear, a 3.90 rear gear and 27" tires and it does pretty good. Don't have to play the clutch at all to get her going, takes of real smooth. The down side to my combo is that my cruise rpm's at 65 mph are about 3200. Needless to say I don't do much highway running with it. It's a blast around town though, winds up real well. IMO if your planning on highway miles I would not go over a 3.73. Of course tire size plays into this as well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
John

Yowsa! Going from that 2.50 something rear to something around a 3.20-3.40 will really wake it up performance wise with a mild cam like you're talking about. You'll be turning a little bit more rpm at freeway speed, but if you stick with something around in that range above you won't be doing too bad unless you've got a really short tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode